Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Pool 2020 Game Thread
Another one...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/newsman-jim-lehrer-dead-at-age-85

Quote:Newsman Jim Lehrer dead at age 85

PBS NewsHour co-founder and longtime anchor Jim Lehrer died Thursday at age 85, the organization said in a press release.

Lehrer, who made a name for himself covering the 1973 Senate Watergate hearings on PBS, passed away in his sleep, the press release said. He and Robert MacNeil founded PBS NewsHour in 1975. Lehrer retired in 2011 after anchoring the network’s flagship news program for 36 years.

“With heavy hearts we report the death of PBS NewsHour co-founder Jim Lehrer at age 85. A giant in journalism, his tenacity and dedication to simply delivering the news remain the core of our work,” PBS NewsHour said on Twitter.

Katie Couric, who’s worked for news broadcasts on ABC, CBS and NBC, paid tribute to Lehrer on Twitter.  “Jim Lehrer was a legendary journalist and anchor. May he rest in peace.️,” she tweeted. 

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., reacted to Lehrer’s death, writing: “Our nation has lost a champion for truth and transparency."

Throughout his career, Lehrer interviewed influential figures, including Margaret Thatcher and Yasser Arafat in the 1980s, South Korean President Kim Daejung and Chinese leader Jiang Zemin in the 1990s, and Jordan’s King Abdullah and Afghan President Hamid Karzai in the 2000s, the press release said.

He also moderated 12 presidential debates — more than any other individual in U.S. history. He moderated every presidential debate leading up to the 1996 and 2000 elections. President Clinton awarded him the National Humanities Medal. He also was elected a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame.

“I’m heartbroken at the loss of someone who was central to my professional life, a mentor to me and someone whose friendship I’ve cherished for decades,” Judy Woodruff, anchor and managing editor of the PBS NewsHour, said in a statement. “I’ve looked up to him as the standard for fair, probing and thoughtful journalism and I know countless others who feel the same way.”

Sharon Percy Rockefeller, president and CEO of WETA, also offered her condolences and praised Lehrer as “one of America’s most distinguished journalists and a true champion of excellence in reporting.”

“Jim set the gold standard for broadcast journalism in our nation and devoted his life to a vital public service ― keeping Americans informed and thereby strengthening our civil society,” she continued. “Through his extraordinary insight, integrity, balance and discipline, Jim earned the trust of the American people, and his important legacy lives on at PBS NewsHour.”

Lehrer is survived by his wife Kate, daughters Jamie, Lucy and Amanda, and six grandchildren.

Before working for PBS, he also reported for Dallas public television station KERA, the National Public Affairs Center for Television, the Dallas Morning News and the Dallas Times-Herald. He attended Victoria College in Texas before studying journalism at the University of Missouri. He served three years as an infantry officer in the U.S. Marine Corps.

RIP

I don't think he was on anyone's list.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
This might be your year Tonto.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Whoa....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7931909/Kobe-Bryant-dies-Calabasas-helicopter-crash.html

Quote:Kobe Bryant killed along with four others in Calabasas helicopter crash
  • Kobe Bryant and four others were killed when his private helicopter went down in Calabasas, California, on Sunday morning
  • The 41-year-old basketball star's death was confirmed by TMZ
  • The LA County Sheriff's Department responded to reports of the crash near Las Virgenes Rd and Willow Glen St at around 10am after a fire broke out
By Megan Sheets For Dailymail.com
Published: 14:32 EST, 26 January 2020 | Updated: 14:54 EST, 26 January 2020

Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday morning.  

The 41-year-old former Los Angeles Lakers basketball star's death was confirmed by TMZ.

The outlet reported that Bryant was traveling with four other people in his private helicopter when it crashed, killing everyone on board.

Officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department responded to reports of the crash near Las Virgenes Rd and Willow Glen St in Calabasas at around 10am after a fire broke out. 

The cause of the crash is under investigation. It is unclear where the chopper departed from or where it was headed when it went down. 

Bryant is survived by his wife Vanessa and their four daughters - Gianna, Natalia and Bianca and newborn Capri.

The 18-time NBA All-Star spent his entire 20-year career with the Lakers, winning five NBA championships before he retired in 2016. 
He was the first guard in NBA history to play at least 20 seasons.

Bryant has been known to use a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter to travel for years - often flying from Newport Beach to the Staples Center for Lakers games.

This is a developing story.   

RIP
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
He was one of the best. RIP
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
Shocking for sure & his daughter, so sad.
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/kirk-douglas-dead-103-family

Quote:Kirk Douglas, actor and Hollywood legend, dead at 103, family says

Kirk Douglas, one of the most famous American leading men of the mid-20th century remembered for his dimpled chin, chiseled features, and virile Hollywood roles, has died at the age of 103, his family said Wednesday.

“It is with tremendous sadness that my brothers and I announce that Kirk Douglas left us today at the age of 103,” Kirk's son, Michael Douglas, said in a statement obtained by People magazine. “To the world, he was a legend, an actor from the golden age of movies who lived well into his golden years, a humanitarian whose commitment to justice and the causes he believed in set a standard for all of us to aspire to.

The actor continued: “But to me and my brothers Joel and Peter he was simply Dad, to Catherine, a wonderful father-in-law, to his grandchildren and great grandchild their loving grandfather, and to his wife Anne, a wonderful husband.

“Kirk’s life was well lived, and he leaves a legacy in film that will endure for generations to come, and a history as a renowned philanthropist who worked to aid the public and bring peace to the planet. Let me end with the words I told him on his last birthday and which will always remain true. Dad- I love you so much and I am so proud to be your son," he added.

RIP

I was a fan.
I saw a picture of him recently & he didn't look well.  But, damn, I thought he would keep going & going.
Sad
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/robert-conrad-star-of-television-series-the-wild-wild-west-dies-at-84/ar-BBZNgR0?ocid=sf2

Quote:Robert Conrad, Star of Television Series The Wild Wild West, Dies at 84

“He lived a wonderfully long life and while the family is saddened by his passing, he will live forever in their hearts,” family spokesman Jeff Ballard tells PEOPLE.

Born in Chicago, Illinois on March 1, 1935, Conrad worked as a milkman while pursuing a career as a local nightclub singer before moving to Los Angeles in 1958 and booking his first big recurring role on Hawaiian Eye in 1959.

After Hawaiian Eye, the actor went on to star as Secret Service agent James T. West in The Wild Wild West, which ran from 1965 to 1969. The show followed the characters of West and Artemus Gordon as the country’s first Secret Service agents exploring the west during the Ulysses S. Grant administration.

After the success of The Wild Wild West, Conrad starred in other television shows including The D.A., Assignment: Vienna, Centennial and Baa Baa Black Sheep (which was later syndicated as Black Sheep Squadron.)

The actor also had a career in film as well. Conrad was seen in movies including Wild Wild West spin-off movie More Wild Wild West, as well as Murph the Surf, The Lady in Red and Samurai Cowboy. His last appearance was in the 2002 movie Dead Above Ground.

Conrad was also a singer, and recorded music under the name of Bob Conrad in the 1950s and 60s.

“There are three cycles in showbiz,” Conrad told PEOPLE in 1988, while he filmed his then-new show High Mountain Rangers. “They don’t know you, then they love you, and then you’ve been around so long they hate you. Now I’m starting all over again.”

A recipient of the Distinguished Service Award in Broadcasting and an inductee of the Stuntman’s Hall of Fame, Conrad was a longtime supporter of amateur boxing, the Wounded Warriors Project, Paralyzed Veterans of America, the United States Marine Corps, and the Jimmie Heuga Endowment, which provides support to those affected with multiple sclerosis.

A small private service is scheduled for March 1, which would have been Conrad’s 85th birthday. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Wounded Warrior Project and The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation.

Conrad is survived by 18 grandchildren and eight children, whom he shares with ex-wives LaVelda Fann and Joan Kenlay.

I used to watch him in The Wild Wild West, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and those battery commercials.

RIP

I don't believe he was o anyone's list.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/02/r-i-p-kellye-nakahara-dies-72/?fbclid=IwAR0MkMk90RoG4pZQLHbT3xwa9RwlZStfXSzmxiyX4lyGoo3O2CwhR1PZLFc

Quote:R.I.P. Kellye Nakahara, M*A*S*H Actress Dies at 72

The Hawaiian actress portrayed Nurse Kellye on 167 episodes of the hit TV series

Kellye Nakahara, best known as Nurse Kellye on the iconic television series M*A*S*H, has died at the age of 72. Her family confirmed to TMZ that she lost her short battle with cancer passing away peacefully at her family’s Pasadena, California home.

Born on the Hawaiian island of O’ahu, Nakahara moved to San Francisco to pursue an art career. After marrying David Wallett in 1968, she relocated again to Los Angeles to try her hand at acting. In 1973, she landed a prime recurring role on the legendary TV adaptation of M*A*S*H.

Nakahara portrayed Nurse Kellye Yamato for 167 episodes of the hit show (according to IMDb). It would go on to be her largest and most memorable role. She followed it up with bit parts in television series such as At Ease, Hunter, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and with film roles in Clue (the cook, Mrs. Ho), Black Day Blue Night (as Fat Mama), and Eddie Murphy’s version of Doctor Dolittle (credited as Beagle Woman).

Following her acting career, Nakahara finally pursued art, producing works primarily in watercolor under her married name, Kellye Wallett. One of her painted Christmas ornaments even made it all the way to hang in the White House.
She leaves behind her husband, two children, and two grandchildren.

RIP
Kenny Rogers
Honorary Shield Brother
(03-21-2020, 08:18 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Kenny Rogers

Is this confirmed? 
I just looked at Fox news & saw this: