Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuba vs. Nicarauga
MikeD Wrote:taste similar to eachother.  Variety is the spice of life. [cigar]

Many countries produce great tobacco, Cuba has only been producing it for a longer period of time....hell since before 1492. The soil their is ideal for tobacco and inturn gives the tobacco a unique flavor that IMO hasnt been matched by any other country. Thats not to say that because the flavours arent the same between a Nic or cubano that the Nic is inferior.....I believe the opposite.

You get a better variety in flavour with Nic tobacco, whereas with cuban tobacco preatty much every cigar has the same twang, same "cuban" spice, which to me has made me feel that it doesnt matter what you get, cubans are all fundamentally the same, in terms of flav. Maybe body changes.

I would take a Padron 40th over a Bolivar, cohiba ...anyday......but maybe not a Fundadore...mmmmTongue

btw, I agree with Bungalow bill that they age great....but I will have to see personally when I get my hands on a davidoff[cigar]
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Check out the cigar wars at cigar aficionado.com

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Free/Video
So it'a a tie according to the so call experts.. 
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Bungalowbill Wrote:cubans will always have their unique profile, the whole terroir thing, but as far as other countries producing as good or better quality foliage... absolutely. i'd put a padron or anything by pepin up there with any youngish cubano. but there lies the cuban trump card. nothing ages over the decades like the cuban stuff.

think of how stoked we are to be smoking at this time in history. while we set aside cubanos for later, we can enjoy insane (and improving) cigars from nicaragua and elsewhere. the nineties had it's boom in quantity. right now we're in the midst of a quality boom. so enjoy, you're soaking in it! [smokin2]
I'd challenge the statement about aging potential in some non Cubans.  I see a lot of long term potential in many of the NC cigars I've smoked and I look forward to seeing what comes manyyears from now!Cool
macallan2 Wrote:
Bungalowbill Wrote:cubans will always have their unique profile, the whole terroir thing, but as far as other countries producing as good or better quality foliage... absolutely. i'd put a padron or anything by pepin up there with any youngish cubano. but there lies the cuban trump card. nothing ages over the decades like the cuban stuff.

think of how stoked we are to be smoking at this time in history. while we set aside cubanos for later, we can enjoy insane (and improving) cigars from nicaragua and elsewhere. the nineties had it's boom in quantity. right now we're in the midst of a quality boom. so enjoy, you're soaking in it! [smokin2]
I'd challenge the statement about aging potential in some non Cubans.  I see a lot of long term potential in many of the NC cigars I've smoked and I look forward to seeing what comes manyyears from now!Cool
Ashton San Cristobal, Padron, Pepin, Padilla, and Illusione to name a few. Big Grin
Great tobacco from both countries! San Cristobal's are my new favorite and I am laying down a couple of boxes of the guajiro's to test the aging theory. I have honestly never aged any non Habanos, but can't imagine why it should not work very well.  Cool
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
[user=3]lz6[/user] wrote:
Quote:Great tobacco from both countries! San Cristobal's are my new favorite and I am laying down a couple of boxes of the guajiro's to test the aging theory. I have honestly never aged any non Habanos, but can't imagine why it should not work very well.  Cool

right there with ya, tio bob. tried a few guajiros in the last few weeks and was blown away. if tatuaje had sex with padron, san cristobal would be the unholy offspring. just an amazing profile.
In the new CA, they interview Jose "Pepin" Garcia, he says once cuba opens they will probably take leaf from central america. 
lz6 Wrote:Great tobacco from both countries! San Cristobal's are my new favorite and I am laying down a couple of boxes of the guajiro's to test the aging theory. I have honestly never aged any non Habanos, but can't imagine why it should not work very well.  Cool

BIG DITTO!

In my experience I have had some cigars that smoke great fresh and again with a lot of age. But taste like the south end of a north bound dog with a little age on it. The CAO Criollo is the best example of this. Good out of the box, after 2 or 3 months you could not pay me to smoke them .Then after about a year... yummy.
njsarge Wrote:In the new CA, they interview Jose "Pepin" Garcia, he says once cuba opens they will probably take leaf from central america.
Do you know if they publish these articles online?  Thanks