Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuaba distinguidos
Cuaba Distinguidos

Origin:  Cuba
Manufactured: Hand Made
Length:  162
Ring:  52

Smoked my second distinguidos last night, from a single cigar of unknown box code from LCdH London.  Previously I had smoked a single from 03 that I very much enjoyed so I was expecting great things.

This cigar is a large figuardo, in the style of old fashioned gentleman's cigars from the early 20th century.  It really does look quite impressive.  Unfortunately, I could tell before I lit it that it felt a bit too light for such a big cigar and from touching it, it seemed underfilled.

The first third of this cigar was very mild but it was also pretty bland.  I was hoping that the cigar might open up into a flavour bomb, as I had experienced previously.   Unfortunately by the time I got stuck into the second third, I was beginning to experience a wildly uneven burn that needed constant correcting.  I could also tell that this cigar was smoking way too fast for its' size due to being underfilled.  When I got to the final third I was quite sick of this cigar and pronounced that it was one of the worst cigars I've smoked in a long time.  These cigars are meant to be rolled by experienced torcedors due to the difficulty in constructing large figuardos.  Unfortunately this cigar seemed to have been rolled by a complete noob who had forgotten to put any ligero leaf in whatsoever, let alone a reasonable quantity of tobacco.

Big shame as I had previously really enjoyed this cigar.  On this sampling - 81/100
shoot. i hope they're not messing this stick up, since i've really enjoyed the ones i've had. even those had a tendency to burn a bit crooked, but nothing fatal. hope it was just a one-off dud. thanks for the review, in any case.
Bungalowbill Wrote:shoot. i hope they're not messing this stick up, since i've really enjoyed the ones i've had. even those had a tendency to burn a bit crooked, but nothing fatal. hope it was just a one-off dud. thanks for the review, in any case.

I think it must have been a duff box because my friend's impression of the cuaba was that it was like a silk cut ultra cigarrette as was so mild, and his was underfilled too.

I am curious to try another from a different box to satisfy my curiousity.  Won't be rushing to do so though.
fired up one of my last distinguidos yesterday. had to correct the burn once, but other than that it was good as always... a very refreshing, light and perfumey smoke, surprising depth for something so mellow. i think the box i got was from the middle of '05, if that helps. was your dud made after that? if so, i suppose we should be cautious, in case this brand has gone downhill. that would be a shame, since most cubanos have gotten much better in recent years with improvements in factories and quality control.