Cohiba 5 Maduro Genios
Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios
5-1/2 x 52
Wrapper/Binder/Filler: Cuba
Date: 07/17/07
Smoke Time: 73 minutes
Beverage: Iced tea

[Image: CohibaMad5Review.jpg]

Prelight:  What a beautifully constructed cigar!  The wrapper was dark and smooth, with no veins or visible blemishes at all.   The aroma was a wonderful mix of deep earthiness and barnyard.  Prelight flavor was dominated by deep earthiness and top soil.  There was also a slight cedary bite at the back of my palate.

1/3:  The cigar started right off with an incredible smoke volume.  There was a grassy undertone with very heavy earthy and leathery overtones.  There was a nice tingle on my tongue and lips and it had an overall very nice and full flavor that filled my mouth.  The ash was solid and medium gray.

2/3:  The deep earthiness continued, and the grassiness was replaced by a spiciness in the back of my mouth, throat and even a little bit in my chest (though I was not inhaling the smoke).  This was not the hard biting attack of a black pepper spice, but rather it was more like a long and slow smoldering spiciness.

3/3:  A mild nic kick started as the final third began.  The spiciness continued and really intensified, becoming very powerful.  This cigar rally ended with a powerful explosion of spiciness.

Overall:  Wow, what a cigar.  The deep earthy flavors really agreed with my palate, as did the slow burning spiciness.  The very end got a little bit intense and maybe a little rough, but this would likely be smoothed out with some age.  The profile fit me nicely, and I look forward to trying the other sizes to see how they compare.  I will likely pick up a box of my favorite size and look forward to trying them in about 3-5 years to see how they mature.

Looks Delicious!  Thanks for the review. Smile
sweet review and very nice action pic!

your impression reminds me of my journey with the sublimes (another maduro-like wrapper stick). good and earthy when young, but with great potential for the future. hopefully they won't fall asleep as long as the sublimes did... i'm hoping these will mature a bit quicker because of the prior aging.

i am, of course, green with envy. Big Grin
Great review!  I have been dying to try these. 
Magnum PI Wrote:Great review!  I have been dying to try these. 
Tell me about it!  Would someone PLEASE pm me with the best way to go about getting some OR for putting down long term.  I've been out of the buying game for so long I'm gonna need some help here.  On another note, any info on these "virtual CC's" I hear so much about these days would be great too!  TIA
macallan2 Wrote:
Magnum PI Wrote:Great review!  I have been dying to try these. 
Tell me about it!  Would someone PLEASE pm me with the best way to go about getting some OR for putting down long term.  I've been out of the buying game for so long I'm gonna need some help here.  On another note, any info on these "virtual CC's" I hear so much about these days would be great too!  TIA
PM sent...

Really enjoy your reviews Maytag, thanks.  Good looking stick!
Another Home Run review MTM, thank you for sharing.

cant wait to get my hands on one of these stogies
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin