Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning your lighter
I dont suggest anyone try this but perhaps there is something here to be learned?

The other day a helpful soul came over to me and said: "I have bad news" and handed me one of my lighters. It turns out this lighter had been in my pants pocket and gone through a full wash and dry.

I took it and just before tossing it decided to give it a quick try. It worked. Flawlessly! In fact, better than I remember it working.

Now, the ignition system on these things are electronic and delicate, but it turns out the jets are immune to water (as long as properly dried before anything can rust).

Many years ago my first jet lighter gave up the ghost first sputtering then nothing. In desperation I set out to clean it using a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. I eventually immersed it upside down then pounded out the alcohol (& debris) and this lighter worked for many many years before I lost it.

Maybe once you determine a lighter is beyond hope, try desperate measures before you toss it.
Also, when it is sputtering it can be clogged,I fingd that a #52 drill bit fits perfectly into the jet oriface, just turn and push it into hole until it stops then rotae some more,then blow out with compressed air,refill and light.
interesting. I've poked around with a thin wire but invariably that just made it worse.
UPDATE!

Something inside must have rusted. The lighter is toast today. The spark thing wont spark. So putting your lighter in the washing machine is not recommended! LOL
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:UPDATE!

Something inside must have rusted. The lighter is toast today. The spark thing wont spark. So putting your lighter in the washing machine is not recommended! LOL

Send it here,I'll see what I can do.
I have used rubbing alcohol, a q-tip and some compressed air.  I soak the tip really really good with a q-tip and then scrub with the q-tip and then lastly I blow out with compressed air.  Have not had a problem with it yet.
Bluesman455 Wrote:

nah, It was a $5 POS that I used to throw in my pocket for fishing as a backup lighter. I have a few more of them.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Bluesman455 Wrote:

nah, It was a $5 POS that I used to throw in my pocket for fishing as a backup lighter. I have a few more of them.

Try that $2 torch I gave you at the herf,works great in the wind.