Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cikar travel humidor
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting the new xikar travel humidor:

http://www.sikaritalo.fi/catalog/images/860.jpg

and i was wondering if any of you have one or have any info on them, such as their seal and their ability to maintain their humidity. Any help will be appreciated.

While I do not own one I have handled one a few times and MO would be too Pass. I think one would be better suited using a otter box style travel humi or something along those lines for anything more than 24 hours outside of a regular humidor. It looked great and the construction was good but im not sure I would use it as a travel humi...Again I dont own one and this is JMO....

Mike
I like the aluminum one from Famous....no handle.
Although thats a sweet looking box,I wouldnt want to travel with it and I dont like my accessories in with my cigars.I keep a cutter and a v cutter along with a lighter in my pocket/center cosole of car.Metal,unless stainless steel wont mix with a 70%rh enviroment.
if you want a serious travel humidor / case your best choice is otterbox imho
Just got one on C-bid along with 10 Gurkha Legends for $46 so I'll let you know when I get it tomorrow along with the Gurkha Titan 10 pack I won. [doh]

The cedar liner you see in that pic folds over the cigars and keeps them separate from the lighters, cutters, wallet, etc...

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=385650

If you enlarge the photo of the humidor the 2nd picture gives you a better idea.

At $46 I couldn't pass it up as I've seen the humidor alone retailing for $79.  I think anyone would agree that if it's Xikar it can't be sub par quality.  I'd agree that it's probably not made for long term storage but for protection while traveling or for day trips I'm betting it's great.  The 3 finger case I have from them is metal lined all around so it's an amazing protector of the sticks.  I'm sure this one will be as well but I'll let you know.

BTW, I got it for my initial bid af $46 with an auto-bid set for $56.  Long live C-Bid!

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Thanks for the input guys and I would be very interested to see what you think Headley when you recieve it, sounds like you got a bargain too. I do have an otterbox but i wanted to get something different for short trips, i pop to France and Belgium now and again and I buy some singles there and i had my eye on this. I hope that it can maintain a decent RH for a while, doesnt have to be to long. I just really like most of the products offered by xikar, including their cutters and envoy cases but i wasnt sure about this. I look forward to hearing about it.
In my opinion, a traveldor should hold cigars for travel.

Having said that, this is what I look for.

First and foremost... compartmentalized areas for my cigars! Travel means move. Move means abuse. If there are no separators between the sticks, they will get damaged. (all otterbox traveldors use foam with cutouts for the cigars).

Next, I want a poor seal. Yep, you heard me right. If I'm traveling chances are I dont need a months worth of humidification. Cigars can stand 48 hours easily without any humidification so a poor seal should give you a week easily. However a tight seal will mean you MUST REMEMBER TO STORE IT OPENED! Otherwise after 12 weeks being stored, when you open it there will be a forest of mold to greet you!

Lastly, you really need to decide what you want this for. An average "need some cigars for the day" trip calls for a nice leather 3 finger case.

Going to a herf? Then a more substantial otter box.

Overflow storage (which I know many people use their traveldors for)... look elsewhere. Use a Tupperware and save the traveldor for... ummm... travel.
When I go to my inlaws for the weekend or a long weekend i end up bringing my 100 count humidor and my traveldor(in case I go out) because I never knoew what I want or will be in the mood for.
OK, my first bad experience with C-bid is actually turning into a not so bad one.  The order arrived today and the Gurkha Titan 10 pack was there but instead of the Xicar combo was a CI Legends combo.  Beautiful aluminum travel case with those shitty CI Legends cigars inside.  5 minutes on hold later and the replacement along with a return label for the wrong one will go out Monday.  I'll keep you posted.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Headley Wrote:OK, my first bad experience with C-bid is actually turning into a not so bad one.  The order arrived today and the Gurkha Titan 10 pack was there but instead of the Xicar combo was a CI Legends combo.  Beautiful aluminum travel case with those shitty CI Legends cigars inside.  5 minutes on hold later and the replacement along with a return label for the wrong one will go out Monday.  I'll keep you posted.
hmmm... good luck.