Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigars with drinks
Just curious how much what your drink affects the taste of your cigar?  I had my first La Riqueza this evening while trying a new rum I picked up and coke.  About a quarter inch in I was getting a weird "twang" is the only way I can describe it.  I was disappointed because I had heard such good things about these cigars and then thought maybe it could be my drink combined with the stick that was just not mixing well.  I took a few drinks of plain coke to get the taste out and finished the rest of the cigar and it was much better than before but still just couldn't get the taste off my palate.  Still not completly sure if it was the drink/cigar combo that was bad or if my palate is off or what, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.
I smoke alot of La Riqueza, most of the time I drink water or coffee but I have had a couple of them taste a bit fresh all tho its more the last half of the cigar. For the most part tho they're great smokes. If I were you Id give em another try for sure. I love them, one of my favorites[thumbsup]
I usually always smoke with eithr just a diet coke, root beer, whiskey and diet coke, or coffee. I find that this has been the most consistent for me. I never get bad tastes in my mouth and overall makes the cigar more enjoyable.

However when I drink beer with cigars I think it sometimes takes aways from the cigar. I love IPA's and thats usually what I drink so they really affect the cigars taste IMO. There was an article from the gril from the Vegas herf that posted something about the acidity in your mouth and some other stuff affecting cigars when you smoke them. She mentioned that you need to bring your acidity down to a more neutral level before smoking.  She said that the best thing to use was milk and water. Here lately I drink a little glass of milk then some water. It really does help out a lot. I think you should give it a try Caleb. Im going to search for that article.
Found it!!

http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=11580&forum_id=6&highlight=milk+and+cigars
milk and cigars?  [really] 

Last night I had a Fomous Nic longsdale with some straight Four Roses.  The cigar was pungent and really kinda nasty........maybe a glass of milk would have helped.  I'm thinking that I just grabbed a turd from a normally dependable box though.  Next time I will try a bit of milk to see if that helps.
I'm a fan of La Riqueza too - and so far, anything Pete Johnson is behind. I've not had the twang you mentioned yet. If I need to adjust my mouth's ph, a few sips of bitter lemon does it for me. However, I buy Schwepp's instead of this Canada Dry when I can find it.

Lately, I've been pouring a bit of good port to have with my cigar. This white port is quite dry, but it still helps bring out any sweetness a cigar has. The Quinta De Ventozelo is dry too. The dry red ports are pricey, but I like it with a excellent cigar.

[cigar]

Attached Files Image(s)

SmokyOneKenobi Wrote:milk and cigars?  [really] 

Last night I had a Fomous Nic longsdale with some straight Four Roses.  The cigar was pungent and really kinda nasty........maybe a glass of milk would have helped.  I'm thinking that I just grabbed a turd from a normally dependable box though.  Next time I will try a bit of milk to see if that helps.
Well I  dont pair the cigar with milk I just drink it before the cigar. Then take a diet coke or something to drink with the cigar. Think of the milk as a palate cleanser.
Thanks for the link Bailey and comments guys.  I actually woke up this morning with a sore throat and sinus junk going on so now im thinking that probably had something to do with it.  I will have to give the cigar another try down the road.
[user=1169]MK 199[/user] wrote:
Quote:Thanks for the link Bailey and comments guys.  I actually woke up this morning with a sore throat and sinus junk going on so now im thinking that probably had something to do with it.  I will have to give the cigar another try down the road.

yea if you are sick you taste gets all mess up. Im a huge fan of water of coffee with a cigar. Ive had some very good beers with some very good cigars, and for some reason they just dont compliment each other. They both become mediocre and I become very sad. its unfortunate.
A glass of Glenlivet 12 and a Hoyo Excaliber was a pretty good combo today.  I have found if you have to much to drink, a good cigar is kind of a waste, in my opinion.  When the senses are dulled, I dont think you get as much out of it.  I save my best ones for no booze.
I like smoking lightning