Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigars and Politics
With the current political battles going on this year, I thought it would be a good time to consider the role that cigars have played in American politics. It seems ironic to me that, in the face of nationwide anti-tobacco legislation, we seem to have forgotten the rather important role that cigars have played in the political arena over the past 150 years.

The photo below shows a couple of cigar boxes that are referred to as "Your Choice" boxes. They were so-called because during elections, they were placed side-by-side on the counters in many stores and your could "voice" your selection by choosing from one box or the other. Kind of a simple polling system. These boxes are from the 1888 election.

[Image: cigars-elections-figure04.jpg]

On a recent visit with my friend Tony Hyman, we were discussing these issues and I asked him if he would write an article for the Stogie Fresh Cigar Journal on some of his favorite examples of how cigars have played a role in politics. I just published this article and would like to share it with you. It's titled: Cigars and Politics.

Tony is one of the foremost American experts on cigar history and he has an awesome collection of cigar boxes an tobacciana. I don't know about you, but I am absolutely fascinated by cigar history, and this article is a gem.

Enjoy!

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Once again Doc, outstanding job on presenting a very interesting subject in a great journalistic style.  Always love your contributions to my enjoyment of this hobby.
Thanks, my friend. My pleasure working with some of the great minds in cigar history, like Tony and Ben Rapaport.

Just occurred to me... do you ever wonder what kind of cigar would look best hanging out of the mouth of Obama, Hilliary, or McCain?!

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
An exploding one...   preferably with C4  Wink
Dr. Stogie Fresh Wrote:Thanks, my friend. My pleasure working with some of the great minds in cigar history, like Tony and Ben Rapaport.

Just occurred to me... do you ever wonder what kind of cigar would look best hanging out of the mouth of Obama, Hilliary, or McCain?!

Doc
Do they make a cigar enema ?? That would be more appropriate for these 3 .
I see Obama with a Lancero.

McCain with a Nub.

Hilliary... I won't go there.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Dr. Stogie Fresh Wrote:I see Obama with a Lancero.

McCain with a Nub.

Hilliary... I won't go there.

Doc

I don't know about Hillary, but I think Bill & Monica would probably select an inmenso 5x70, by the looks of her  Wink
Great article Doc Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.