Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar of the month?
Hey all,
Is it worth paying into a cigar of the month club? I'm still new to cigars, and want to try more.
I'm sure that a cigar of the month club will expose me to sticks that I would not normally pick up on my own. And probably cheaper too, but what are the quality of smokes that get sent out.
I'm looking at cigar.com's club or CI's.

Any thoughts?
Support my Movember team to support Prostate and testicular cancer awareness at: http://us.movember.com/team/747249

I have never done one but I think it's a good idea for a few months at least.
NO, just buy singles from local places or order some fivers online
Yeah, pick your own singles, tons of good recommendations here without wondering if you got a dog rocket
No Justice, No Peace!
Having joined a cigar of the month club a few years ago to cancel it the following month, in my opinion especially if new to cigar smoking, I would recommend going to your local cigar shop / lounge and talking it out with them letting them suggest what to start smoking cigar wise. More times then not, they are happy to help, it starts building a relationship with local shop, which is always helpful in the cigar world and they are always appreciative getting additional business. Also, it's a great way to meet local fellow cigar lovers.

Once you get a feel for what you like and don't like, at least for me, I gravitated towards ordering cigars online depending on the price difference, but always continued to goto my shop to pick up some cigars and light one up to relax. It's gotten to point in certain instances owner will match some of the cigar prices sold online to keep you happy and to get more business, but this isn't always the case.
Buying your own is the best way to go. Read the good cigar reviews ands if you have a local shop then let them get to know you.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I disagree with most of you.....sure I am all for supporting the local shops, but some of the shops don't carry what they have online.

I did this for a few months and I had to stop not because of of the sticks I was getting, but because they were coming in too fast for me to smoke and I just couldn't keep up.

I was with CI's and I liked how they included a little brochure with each package and even had discounts on the cigars.....I got some real nice sticks that I cannot find locally. I have actually been thinking about restarting it, but only doing 4 at a time instead of the 8 (the other 4 were for bombs).

I have heard that if you go with Cigar.com you will be appointed your own rep and they will ask you what you like and you and make suggestions and things like that.....I went with CI because of the free shipping. I think this is a great thing for new smokers, but yeah you will eventually cancel it and develop your own sampling.

Good luck
Gangsta
Over the many years I have been smoking I joined things like that 2 or 3 times (cigars, I also tried wine of the month, cheese of the month, fruit of the month...) The cigar ones were all great disappointments. I think they pushed out whatever they had extra inventory and that would be their worst sellers. 80% of the cigars I got through these plans I never heard of or had no interest in smoking. You don't get to say "I only smoke maduros" or have any other input.
My advice is to steer clear or if you sign up, make sure you are free to cancel any time without penalty.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
I got one of my favorite travel humidors from joining one of those things. I can't remember where it was from, but I know the travel humidor is pretty awesome. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se, but make sure you can cancel at anytime because odds are you'll be getting something they consider "premium" cigars and are charging you 6 bucks in the cigar of the month club, then blowing out on the daily deal at a buck and a half a piece. My recommendation would still be to buy 5'ers if you're going to do your buying online, or singles at the B&M.
(09-11-2012, 10:51 AM)irratebass Wrote: I disagree with most of you.....sure I am all for supporting the local shops, but some of the shops don't carry what they have online.

I did this for a few months and I had to stop not because of of the sticks I was getting, but because they were coming in too fast for me to smoke and I just couldn't keep up.

I was with CI's and I liked how they included a little brochure with each package and even had discounts on the cigars.....I got some real nice sticks that I cannot find locally. I have actually been thinking about restarting it, but only doing 4 at a time instead of the 8 (the other 4 were for bombs).

I have heard that if you go with Cigar.com you will be appointed your own rep and they will ask you what you like and you and make suggestions and things like that.....I went with CI because of the free shipping. I think this is a great thing for new smokers, but yeah you will eventually cancel it and develop your own sampling.

Good luck

You do know that CI and Cigar.com are the same company.