Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar buying Strategy ?
Jeff, my strategy has been much like Skipper mentioned. I kept buying 2s and 3s of cigars at my local place. Eventually when I would be browsing he would hand me one and say try this. He has a 99% success rate so far.
I just now started grabbing a few boxes of things that really tickle my fancy. I know if my taste changes I should be able to come back them later. They aren't going to go bad, knock on wood.
Different than you I always bought deep on my pipe tobacco. Been smoking 13 years now, my taste does change occasionally, but what I dislike this year comes back around eventually. After your last 2.5 lbs you gifted me I am only shy 3 lbs of the 100 mark Headbash
Branden

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi
(12-17-2010, 09:19 PM)BDM53 Wrote: Jeff, my strategy has been much like Skipper mentioned. I kept buying 2s and 3s of cigars at my local place. Eventually when I would be browsing he would hand me one and say try this. He has a 99% success rate so far.
I just now started grabbing a few boxes of things that really tickle my fancy. I know if my taste changes I should be able to come back them later. They aren't going to go bad, knock on wood.
Different than you I always bought deep on my pipe tobacco. Been smoking 13 years now, my taste does change occasionally, but what I dislike this year comes back around eventually. After your last 2.5 lbs you gifted me I am only shy 3 lbs of the 100 mark Headbash

YEA the whole "i bought 2 and 3s" is what started this whole mess! you kept sending me 1 of the 3 now im running out of room in a freaking 100qt cooler, TERD!
Fed Ex came right before my wife got home from work,, all is goodBig Grin
A little over a year ago, I got into hanging out with my best friend who worked in one of the B&M's up here. I tried a couple sticks he would hand me and ask me to give a try. I found that they helped calm my stomach down, and started smoking 2 or 3 a week.
At first, I was smoking mild ones. Then I moved up to mediums (that bordered on mild) My friend would occasionally have me try something strong, and it just wasnt for me. Then after a while, I moved into stronger ones. Now I prefer as bold as bold gets. Spicy is always good. I still enjoy a medium or mild cigar, especially when I smoke one early on a saturday or sunday, with coffee.
I've found that while I like most cigars in some way, I lean toward nicaraguan blends. I suspect this may eventually change as all things do. From what I have read, and everything I understand, most medium/full body cigars will keep almost indefinitely as long as they are stored properly.
So even if your tastes change, you can come back to it. Smile
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
(12-17-2010, 03:20 PM)nayslayer Wrote:
(12-17-2010, 03:11 PM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: Do you have a decent retail tobacconist near by?
Make friends with the sales folks. Let them know what you like and what you dont like.
I too came from pipes. I went with nothing for around a year before I latched onto cigars. Got rid of the bite on my tongue and with cigars it stayed away. I remember the first time I tasted a few new tastes from that bite being gone.
Surely as that happens to you your tastes will absolutely have to change.
What does the bite on the tongue refer to?

I real bite is a nasty thing. I think it's cause by the excessive moisture and possibly flavorings found in pipe tobacco and the pipe as a delivery agent. It's a sort of non-raised blister (the best I can explain it) that you get form smoking pipes. The net result is a slight numbing of the tongue and a marked decrease in your sense of taste (the 4 true tastes which even a bad cold would not normally impair, Sweet, sour, bitter and salty).
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
After you figure out your cigar buying strategy and add 4 humidors and 3 coolers from being HERE. You will need to come up with a new "STOP buying Cigars Strategy" LOL

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.