Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar Smokers
Its funny, I've never met any of you guys, but we a lot of us feel like we know each other.  I think thats pretty cool. 

I think it must be something about cigar smokers - seems like when you find out someone else that smokes cigars, a bond is usually formed.  Maybe its because the rest of the world hates our hobby and we know its not the best for us, so we seek each others support?Big Grin 

Example, last week a guy came into my office, not my client, but an adversary.  He looks around my conference room (I rent space in a mansion built in the late 1800s) and just made the statement that 'I bet some great cigars were smoked in here.'  I ask the guy if he smokes cigars, and he does.  We get into a long discussion at the table about our likes and dislikes.  The other 4 people in the room look at us like we are speaking a different language.  After our meeting, the guy leaves my building, goes to his car, comes back in and gives me a cigar from a certain Island South of Miami.   Pretty sweet.

I would guess some of you other guys have stories like this.  Anyone?
Isnt that great!!! That happens alot with me. I met a guy in Aruba like that. He was in the ocean, on a float...laying out with a Dip #2. I swim up and say..."Now this is the life...what a perfect picture for CA!!" He started laughing......

Before you know it, I am about 75 feet from shore bullshiting with this guy about cigars, owning property in Aruba, books, etc....that almost an hour passes and my wife was worried....knowing I was in the water...she could not spot me. I was so far out, she couldn't even hear me yell her name since I saw her looking for me from the beach.... Smile He was from Cali and I still keep in touch with him.
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro. You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
Maduro PiPs Wrote:Isnt that great!!! That happens alot with me. I met a guy in Aruba like that. He was in the ocean, on a float...laying out with a Dip #2. I swim up and say..."Now this is the life...what a perfect picture for CA!!" He started laughing......

Before you know it, I am about 75 feet from shore bullshiting with this guy about cigars, owning property in Aruba, books, etc....that almost an hour passes and my wife was worried....knowing I was in the water...she could not spot me. I was so far out, she couldn't even hear me yell her name since I saw her looking for me from the beach.... Smile He was from Cali and I still keep in touch with him.
cool... I have no stories. I will just enjoy yours. Tongue
Here's my story.... it was on my first trip to Rome, probably 1983. I was out with my wife (then my girlfriend, another story...) for an after dinner stroll. It was such a wonderful summer evening, the way they can be in Europe.

I see a dapper Italian gentleman walking through the piazza like he hadn't a care in the world. I say dapper because he was an older gentleman, he wore a wonderful linen suit, shirt, tie, the whole getup. And a very nice summer hat. He was smoking that looked like a Cohiba Siglo-something.

I asked him if he could tell me if there was a shop where I could buy a cigar. Anyway, I guess my Italian wasn't too good, the guy sizes me up, smiles and pulls out another smoke and gives me a Cuban Davidoff (looked like a Petit Corona). He wouldn't hear of any sort of payment or even an espresso. He just tipped his hat and kept on strolling. I will never forget that guy. He was just as cool as they come.

I hope that is me some day. Strolling with my linen suit, in Rome, during the summer and gifting some young punk a great cigar and strolling off into the sunset. I have been aspiring to that ever since.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:[user=309]Maduro PiPs[/user] wrote:
cool... I have no stories. I will just enjoy yours. Tongue
Skip, I find that hard to believe. I seen you at two many places talking to people (Barclay Rex, cigar events, etc). You know more cigar smokers and big shots that own cigar companies. You must have a story or two? 
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
[user=26]Dr. Stogie Fresh[/user] wrote:
Quote:I hope that is me some day. Strolling with my linen suit, in Rome, during the summer and gifting some young punk a great cigar and strolling off into the sunset. I have been aspiring to that ever since.

Doc

Who needs to go to Rome, theres a young Punk right here who would love a cuban DavidoffWink[lol]

I get stuff like this while at the cigar shop, I talk to people and give them my thoughts about what cigars are good and such...but this past friday was a story...

I went to LAX to pick up my dad. I was crusing around with one of those carts and a guy in a slick suit and a cool hat, much like the ones the Fuentes wear, was smoking a cigar. The cigar was short and had a chisel tip so I told him "those LFD are great"........He looks at me and "you got that right".......but was thrown off by this punk wearing skating shoes, big pants and a Spitfire T-shirt[smokin]
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
awesome yarns, gentlemen...

i introduced my brother to good cigars a few years ago, and it makes me proud to know he gets padrons shipped to his house now in the panamaian highlands. our best conversations seem to happen while herfing. family issues, work strategies, life in general... for some reason smoking a fine stogie brings a real clarity of thought.

i guess all us botl's band together because we get it, and are nonplussed as to why the majority don't. come to think of it i kind of like it that way. Smile
Now this might seem silly to some of you, but my bond most recently was with my wife's uncle Bill.  He is the ONLY cigar smoker besides me in the family, and most people don't like the fact that he smokes, and I smoke.. Anyway.. recently, there was a funeral for my wife's grandpa who passed away.. and they came out to CA from AZ.  At the reception/get together after the funeral, he was smoking something, and I asked him what it was.  His response shocked me... It was a cheapo garcia Y vega from a liquor store, and thats ALL he smoked Confusedhock:  He said he'd been given some really nice smokes, but he always went back to the GyV's... That being said, he offered me one, and not wanting to be rude, I partook, and you know, the conversation and the discussion we had made the cigar a decent smoke!  I will never forget that day.  Very cool!
Scott   
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com