Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar Oasis
Ok here's a question that may have been asked but i'm too lazy to use the search button.

I've had the same co's xl plus', xl's, the whole gammit since day one.  eventually the foam inside degrades and becomes moldy, off colored, fuzzy, each one was a different thing.

Anyways what do you co users do?  I'm too cheap to buy more cartridges.  I need the money for more sticks.  Tongue  So what i've been doing is cutting out the foam and just putting distilled in there straight with a copper fitting.  So far so good but i'm curious what if anything anyone else is doing.  i know co says not to do this but my cynical instincts are that they do this to sell more cartridges.  ideas?
Pry open the cartridge, dig out all of the old foam, pick up some of that "fake flower foam", I think it's called Oasis foam, cut it to size, stick it in the cartridge, and bingo bango, your all set.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:Pry open the cartridge, dig out all of the old foam, pick up some of that "fake flower foam", I think it's called Oasis foam, cut it to size, stick it in the cartridge, and bingo bango, your all set.
And Rob, while you're at it, check the door seal on the lower right door...
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I started using the poly-sorb crystals found in many humi products. I have sent MUCH out to scott and others. Just say the word and it's in the mail. I use it in everything I own and have for 2 years with zero probs.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=M-HMC06

http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/department/humidification-10148.cfm?startrow=21&currentpage=2

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

If you can still find Exquisicat Litter Pearls anywhere, cut out the foam in all of them and fill it up with beads.  Beads allow more water in the resevoir as well as absorbing it.  I've found they last longer between refills using beads and you'll never have to worry about mildew or having to change them out as they'll last for a long time.  Plus, you don't have to use PG with beads either.
put beads in them.  genius.

i also like the foam idea for the short term.

great ideas guys.  thanks!

off i go to score more beads.  eventually with all the weight from the beads in my large cab it'll go through the floor. lol.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
Mark Wrote:Pry open the cartridge, dig out all of the old foam, pick up some of that "fake flower foam", I think it's called Oasis foam, cut it to size, stick it in the cartridge, and bingo bango, your all set.

penis. Tongue

hey mark can you send me some pictures of the door seal on your cabinet? Big Grin
Damn!   I am always learning here!  
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:

penis. Tongue

hey mark can you send me some pictures of the door seal on your cabinet? Big Grin

Dude, I still have all of those pics in my photobucket somewhere!

Also, I dont know if I like the beads in the CO as they are meant for passive humidification, not active humidification.  I may be way off base here, but it just doesnt seem right to me.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:

penis. Tongue

Dude, I still have all of those pics in my photobucket somewhere!

Also, I dont know if I like the beads in the CO as they are meant for passive humidification, not active humidification.  I may be way off base here, but it just doesnt seem right to me.

i'm figuring to experiment as i'm always effing around.  i've got 4 in the cabinet so i'll so half and half.  see which i refill more.  i have hygros on each shelf so i can see who's maintaining the rh better.

now to figure out how to pry the lids off.  hey mahky got a photo guide how to?  and is it regular michaels floral foam?