Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar Age Statements
I was just curious if anyone can tell me if the age statements on cigars nowadays are true or complete B.S.

I mean during the boom, there was ZERO tobacco, now some cigars are stating that their tobacco is 17 years old.

my take is that If there was any decent tobacco laying around 17 years ago, it was sold during the boom.

Something seems fishy to me. Just curious on your thought on this.
I dont believe all that 17yr age crap but I do love aged cubans.Alot of NC cigars aged loose there finese imo.As for pre embargo....I am selling the brooklyn bridge.
Cigar Penguin Wrote:I dont believe all that 17yr age crap but I do love aged cubans.Alot of NC cigars aged loose there finese imo.As for pre embargo....I am selling the brooklyn bridge.
Lose their finese but gain so much more depending on the cigar.Wink
could be some out there, but imo NC tobacco doesn't age that well, 5-10 years is the max. even at 17 years i think Cuban tobacco would loose a lot of it;s flavor and strength. This is for premium tobacco, junk tobacco is never going to be good, but they gotta put somthink in swisher sweets.
Wookin Pa Nub Wrote:I was just curious if anyone can tell me if the age statements on cigars nowadays are true or complete B.S.

I mean during the boom, there was ZERO tobacco, now some cigars are stating that their tobacco is 17 years old.

my take is that If there was any decent tobacco laying around 17 years ago, it was sold during the boom.
Not all tobacco was released in mass quantities during the boom.  I've read that Padron and Fuente both realized they were in a surge that was going to bust.  Instead of releasing every bit of tobacco they had, they put away enough to sustain their output at a predictable level.  I believe their tobacco is aged around 4 or 5 years before it's rolled.  The Rocky Patel cigars dated 1990 and 1992, however, don't actually claim tobacco that was grown in 1990 and 1992.  They only promise the wrappers are 12 and 10 year old tobacco.

All of these companies make highly consistent products.  As far as I can tell, new cigars from all these companies taste the same year in and year out.  I have to assume the process is meticulously maintained.  I don't know which cigar makers state they have 17 year old tobacco.  It may be true.  However, depending on the maker, I might be skeptical as well.  Let's see if they're selling the same cigar in 5 years, and if it tastes the same.
bartok Wrote:
Wookin Pa Nub Wrote:I was just curious if anyone can tell me if the age statements on cigars nowadays are true or complete B.S.

Not all tobacco was released in mass quantities during the boom.  I've read that Padron and Fuente both realized they were in a surge that was going to bust.  Instead of releasing every bit of tobacco they had, they put away enough to sustain their output at a predictable level.  I believe their tobacco is aged around 4 or 5 years before it's rolled.  The Rocky Patel cigars dated 1990 and 1992, however, don't actually claim tobacco that was grown in 1990 and 1992.  They only promise the wrappers are 12 and 10 year old tobacco.

All of these companies make highly consistent products.  As far as I can tell, new cigars from all these companies taste the same year in and year out.  I have to assume the process is meticulously maintained.  I don't know which cigar makers state they have 17 year old tobacco.  It may be true.  However, depending on the maker, I might be skeptical as well.  Let's see if they're selling the same cigar in 5 years, and if it tastes the same.
I can understand as far as Fuente and Padron is concerned, they were only looking towards their own future. Besides, these guys Grow their own tobacco...What gets me are the companies that buy their tobacco/cigars from growers/tobacco brokers than try to market them with an age statement that is suspect.

I just think that it is an insult to cigar smokers intelligence to put years on tobacco that are completely false...

You mentioned Rocky Patel, your telling me you beleive that the wrapper is from 1990, and 1992....I dont buy it. Not for a second. So who did he buy this rare 1990 tobacco from? He doesnt grow it....

They are fooling us. They can put 1942 and expect us to believe it.

I just think that we should hold some of these guys accountable, and question everything.

I'm not knocking the cigars, everyone mentioned is a great smoke...I am concerned with how truthfull they are with marketing them to us.

Who's with me here?

[user=333]Wookin Pa Nub[/user] wrote:
I can understand as far as Fuente and Padron is concerned, they were only looking towards their own future. Besides, these guys Grow their own tobacco...What gets me are the companies that buy their tobacco/cigars from growers/tobacco brokers than try to market them with an age statement that is suspect.

I just think that it is an insult to cigar smokers intelligence to put years on tobacco that are completely false...

You mentioned Rocky Patel, your telling me you beleive that the wrapper is from 1990, and 1992....I dont buy it. Not for a second. So who did he buy this rare 1990 tobacco from? He doesnt grow it....

They are fooling us. They can put 1942 and expect us to believe it.

I just think that we should hold some of these guys accountable, and question everything.

I'm not knocking the cigars, everyone mentioned is a great smoke...I am concerned with how truthfull they are with marketing them to us.

Who's with me here?

Im with ya brotha........dont be fooled by faulse marketing.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
I think the entire industry is pretty honest except maybe Bulz...Confusedhock:
Love the new avatar Wookie!Big Grin
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:I think the entire industry is pretty honest except maybe Bulz...Confusedhock:
True,but he makes up for it in manipulation and maybe his cologne.