Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrysler lay-offs
I know somone who, 10 years ago, was making $24 per hour putting on hubcaps. She had a quota & if she met her quota in 3 hrs, she could leave & still get paid for the full 8 hour shift. She also had great benefits too.

Where is she now?

Retired at 46 with a full pension & benefits. Now raising 4 horses on her farm.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I know somone who, 10 years ago, was making $24 per hour putting on hubcaps. She had a quota & if she met her quota in 3 hrs, she could leave & still get paid for the full 8 hour shift. She also had great benefits too.

Where is she now?

Any leads on a job like that, Jan? Just PM me, I'd appreciate it. Wink
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I know somone who, 10 years ago, was making $24 per hour putting on hubcaps. She had a quota & if she met her quota in 3 hrs, she could leave & still get paid for the full 8 hour shift. She also had great benefits too.

Where is she now?

There needs to be a balance between a decent days pay (and benefits) for a decent job done, and this kind of fluff.  I think too many people fall on either side of this line, wrongly.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Rubie Wrote:
Maduro_Scotty Wrote:Wonder if this will affect senior management and their compensation.[really]

You know it won't do a damn thing to the higher-ups' paychecks. And if it does, it won't be anything too significant. In my comp management class we had a great conversation about big wig execs and how they write their own paychecks. LOTS of corruption in our system.
And then you have guys like Warren Buffet who is the second richest man in the counrty and gives himself an anual salary of 100k.
Beerlord Wrote:yeah, blame Iococca, don't blame people buying foreign cars.

What do you expect when you spend decades making a questionable product (mostly the 80s and 90s im talking about)?  Yea they've turned it around in the last decade or so, but it just might be a little too late.  At least to continue as they were. 
Dont worry.  GM and Ford still have a good footing over seas.
wingo Wrote:
Rubie Wrote:
Maduro_Scotty Wrote:Wonder if this will affect senior management and their compensation.[really]

You know it won't do a damn thing to the higher-ups' paychecks. And if it does, it won't be anything too significant. In my comp management class we had a great conversation about big wig execs and how they write their own paychecks. LOTS of corruption in our system.
And then you have guys like Warren Buffet who is the second richest man in the counrty and gives himself an anual salary of 100k.

100K is noise for him and the corporation he is drawing from.

[user=37]Djaric[/user] wrote:
Quote:[user=9]Beerlord[/user] wrote:
Quote:yeah, blame Iococca, don't blame people buying foreign cars.

What do you expect when you spend decades making an inferior product?  Yea they've turned it around in the last decade or so, but it just might be a little too late.  At least to continue as they were. 
Dont worry.  GM and Ford still have a good footing over seas.
Exactly, except for one point, they product would have to get a whole lot better before it could be considered "inferior".

Right now it's just shy of wallet rape.
Rubie Wrote:

Where is she now?

Any leads on a job like that, Jan? Just PM me, I'd appreciate it. Wink
I'd like 1 too!! Big Grin
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:And as far as buying foreign cars, as I have said so many times in the past, I am about as pro-American as they come, but I'm not stupid nor do I enjoy being made a fool of. My opinion of the US made cars is so far into the abyss that no amount of "right" can correct that wrong.

Sorry, I'm older than a lot of you. I bought too many cars for far too much money that fell apart in 3 years while my friends who paid half for their cars got twice as much and 15 years later they were selling for a decent sum.

US cars are all about cutting corners so they can pay for higher wages and factory prices. Sorry, it isn't my personal responsibility to keep them employed.
I come from a car makin' family - Detroit City since the 1920's.  We worked for Ford Motor for 3 generations straight, including myself, and every other car manufacturer as well.  Personally, I've had it with the American brands.  I've been screwed by them all.  Their captive parts suppliers have had to cut too many corners to remain solvent, even then they all had to file for bankruptcy.

American workers do a good job assembling Toyotas and Hondas.  With automated assembly lines there's very little to screw up.  But if the parts are junk, made from the cheapest materials with the least engineering possible, there's nothing an assembly line worker can do about it.  I've made my contribution to this project, and the Detroit executives screwed it up.  I'm done, and I won't be made a fool of again.
You want ot buy a foreign car fine, but you give up your right to bitch about American's losing their jobs. Just liek votig, you don't vote, you ca't comlain about the elected officials. Noth will ever make me buy a foreign car, as i stated before, the absolute worts cars i ever owned wer the 2 foreign one that i made the mistak of getting. Never again.
Beerlord Wrote:You want ot buy a foreign car fine, but you give up your right to bitch about American's losing their jobs. Just liek votig, you don't vote, you ca't comlain about the elected officials. Noth will ever make me buy a foreign car, as i stated before, the absolute worts cars i ever owned wer the 2 foreign one that i made the mistak of getting. Never again.

I repeat. You saying the 16,000 ohioans working for honda arent americans with jobs?

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool