Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Eve
First of all let me say "Have a very Merry Christmas Eve"

I was just wondering what everyone was doing for Christmas Eve?
Do you have long standing family traditions or is it different every year?

I like to spend time with the kids during the day. Reminding them why we are celebrating and making preparations for Santa's big visit. Cookies and Eggnog for the big guy. Carrots and Oats for the reindeer.

In the evening we go to a candlelight service at our church followed by a stop at a friend's annual Christmas Eve party. Then we rush home and put on our new PJ's and hit the sack.
We now go to 4:00 mass and then head to my in laws for dinner and opening of gifts etc. I miss Christmas eve and the 7 fishes with my family but on Christmas we head to my sister's and have the traditional family Italian dinner..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Information 
Right on jimmy. Merry christmas to you. Every christmas eve my sisters and I go to my dad side of the family, usually my aunts, and do dinner an presents. But after dessert someone dresses up like santa and brings gifts. And now that everyone is older and there are no kids yet its really just funny. Like a couple years ago it was my first time doin it, it came time for my grandma to sit on santas lap and get her present. She says "its good to see you santa" and I reply "its good to see you too grandma" LOL. Classic
Christmas eve has always been the big day in my family. We will have a big traditional Norwegian dinner, and then open gifts. Then some desert and after dinner drinks.

In the last few years we have started a new tradition. After all the festivities at my parents house, we head a few miles down the road to my brothers house. A few close friends come over and we have drinks, it is a lot of fun.

Merry Christmas to everyone
Merry Christmas everybody....going to spend time with my Mom, then smoke cigars with Buckit....maybe church tonite at 11:00

Christmas lunch with my Mom tomorrow
My whole family gathers at my grandmothers. She makes a big ass dinner and we party till the wee hours of the morning, usually around 1-2am is when it starts to clear out. We all head home hit the sack and do it all over again the next day. It's a blast.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
We have always opened presents on Christmas day. The family gets together Christmas eve for a lght dinner, few beverages, "Christmas Story" marathon then wait for Santa to come. Christmas dinner is a great feast.
I can remember as a kid that we would go out and get a tree and set it up but nothing was on it. When we came down the stairs on Christmas morn what a surprise. Tree all lit up and decorated and full of presents underneith. (my poor parents, we found out later, were up all night decorating, putting bikes together, wrapping presents) But what great memories.
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
Some great memories and stories!

We always do Christmas Eve with my wife's family - we go to Uncle Dominic's /Aunt Arlene's for a big family gathering with a huge meal - Ham, Tri-tip or some other kind of beef, at least two pastas, complete antipasto spread, etc. Oh, and wine... lots of wine. We do our gifts with that part of the family that night.

Recently we have been doing Christmas day at our house... my inlaws come over and my mom and/or dad depending on who is in town, etc. This year will be different though as Nicole works on Christmas - a 12 hour shift... (She is a nurse, and that is the way scheduling works...) I think I'll be flying solo most of the day, though my inlaws, SIL, and future BIL will be coming over for a steak dinner in the afternoon.
Traditionally, all my immediate family and cousin's go to my uncle's home (the one with ALS) and open each other's gift, so that we can actually share in it. Last night, however, i worked 3-11 due to Christmas Eve being removed from the recognized holiday list, in favor of the first night of Ramadan. I'd have requested off, but no one really knew, since it fell on a Saturday.

All my family members are in one helping profession or another (nurses, autism camp counselor, addiction therapist, etc) so its nearly impossible to get Christmas morning off. Hence, we all just get Christmas Eve which is MUCH easier, or make deals to work Christmas morning in exchange for Christmas Eve. I volunteered to work Christmas morning (i'm actually here now), only asking to not work Christmas Eve, which other people would sign up to cover. Lo and behold, since Christmas Eve was NOT a holiday, everyone was expected to work their regular schedule, and only the recognized holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years Day (not even New years eve, which has been voluntary in the past) were valid for sign ups.

With that said, my family was still pretty awesome about it, and sent me pictures throughout the evening and text messages. My cousin dropped by work (a 30mi one way drive) to drop off a plate of ham, broccoli cassarole, and cole slaw for me, which was totally unexpected.

Even missing the holiday, sitting at my desk (again), i'm happy to be here. I know that many SC brothers have it far worse, with every day being a "holiday" and sitting at home looking for work. Particularly in social services, which is the first thing to usually get budget cuts, i'm exceptionally lucky.

And Merry Christmas to all the SC brethren!
Christmas eve we opened presents with the family and hung out and snacked for hours. For the last 35 years it's been my home for the open house and food. Same foods since I was a child. Turkey, ham, ravioli, Italian spinach, Green bean casserole, mashed taters, corn and peas, garlic bread and rolls. Then the Christmas breads, panettone, Buccellati bread made into a wreath , and anise seed cookies.

For the first year of an empty nest and not great health it's being scattered. I am doing the basics and taking it to Dominic's appartment for his first Christmas away. I'm passing the torch to a new generation that didn't listen. I'm sure this tradition is in the history books for the youngsters just don't get it. He will now start his own and with a tear in my eye, we will see what happens. Hope everyone has a great safe day.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.