Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Booze
I doubt many of you have ever heard of this stuff, but it is good.

Aquavit is a Norwegian liquor that is traditionally drank around Christmas time. It is more for sipping than shooting, but to each his own. We have a small glass with dinner on Christmas eve. Maybe more than one, actually.Wink

This particular type, "Linie", is put into sherry casks and takes a 19 week sea cruise, crossing the equator twice. The ships constant rolling and the changing temps, as well as the sea air, all enhance the flavor. There are other types, but this is the one we drink in my family.

Merry Christmas
Very nice Carl. Thats a pretty cool story about the boat I can see where it you enhance the flavor.

I have heard of Aquavit but of course I used to sell it.
Will be opening a nice bottle of Gundlach Bundsch 2006 Cab. for starters and a special bottle of Leonetti Cellars Merlot for Christmas dinner. Happy Christmas dudes!
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
I always lay in a few bottles of Julbier---this Yule it's Delirium Noel---and some Johnny Walker and Barenjager, to make What's Under the Kilts. (shot of each, rocks. Like a Rusty Nail, basically.)

Right now it's Bloody Marys, though.

NANP
Very cool story Carl. That's a lot of effort and I am sure it is worth it.

My family will go through numerous bottles of fine wine over the next few days. Always fun.
I introduced my parents to Aquavit even though we are of scandinavian decent it hasn't been really a part of any family traditions.
I'll have to remember to bring it to dinner. I can't recall the brand I found atm, but I've been looking for Linie's and the other one that is flavored/colored with amber that I also can't remember atm..
haha
Maybe I need to go easy on the aquavit tonight..
:p
Being that my family switchs our visits each year (this my parents, next year hers) we don't have many "traditions" per/se, cause at her parents, we can't drink (which is why i take so many long walks with cigars and "flasks", it's just water, I promise"wink, wink") but at my parents, my dad is a huge bourbon and wine lover. We always break open one bottle from the BTAC release from that year, this year was the Stagg. We try it, then spend the rest of the evening smoking cigars and trying the previous years and deciding which years were better. By this time (i'm on my 5th 3 finger glass of Stagg, this one from 07) we decide they are all equally good, and realize the kids will have us up at 5 am, and we are gonna have killer hangovers in 4 hours.
aka: The Bouncer
"I Herfed with The Mum" !! And have the shirt to prove it !!!!
I got my "Big Cock t-shirt from Tankie !!!
We had a bottle of Alaskan Winter beer today. I paired it with a SLR Series G.
Tomorrow morning I'm having the Sierra Nevada/Dog Fish Head collaboration "Life & Limb" with my Christmas breakfast. It's brewed with Maple Syrup and then Birch Syrup is added to the final batch.
Tomorrow afternoon is The Bruery's "2 Turtle Dove."
Tomorrow night is Wild Turkey Rare Breed and 40 Creek Barrel Select.
I've heard of Aquavit, but never tried it...
Thanks for the story. My father-law brings out Aquavit every Christmas eve. It's the only time of year I have it..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore