Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$20+ cigars worth the price?
    Certain sticks just must be tried in my opinion.  When you see a particular stick being what everyone else is comparing other smokes to - you should try it.  Don't buy boxes of them - buy one and smoke it.  My last stick in that range was a God of Fire.  Did I like it?  Hell yeah!  Will I do it again?  Probably.  Will I buy a box of them?  No F'n Way!!!  Tongue 

My humi is full of quality sticks from the $3 - $10 range.  Plenty of LFD, Gran Habano, Pepin,  etc...  Most of which I got on "deals" - the pricey sticks are usually reserved for birthdays or something like that.
Like I have said before, I would rather 3 boxes of Brazillia GOL or NUBS versus one box of OpusX or any other $20+ cigar.
I am going to be buying some higer dollar sticks for special occasions.  The problem is this:  I have taken it upon myself to celebrate every holiday listed on any calender.  I will be sending out cards also, so watch your mailboxes for a "secretarys day" card, just missed mailing out my "happy daylight savings time" cards.

With all of these new "special occasions" to celebrate, my cigar budget is going to need to grow.

Happy "womens month" to everyone.
I like smoking lightning
Oh yeah, and Friday is the first day of spring, so I guess I better go to the shop and get an Opus x, GOF or something of that caliber for the clebration.

This one I am serious about celebrating, after the fifth or sixth "seattle snow storm" this year, I am ready for some friggin sunshine.
I like smoking lightning
"Smoke less, but better.  Make a cult of it, even a philosophy."  -  Zino Davidoff

I smoke FEWER cigars now that I have a store than I did before.  That is mainly due to the fact that I don't have as much time during the day to just sit and truly enjoy a cigar, and about a year ago I decided to quit just having one lit for the hell of it.  Now I smoke a couple to three times a day when I have time to truly take a break and enjoy the smoke.  That is usually at night, near or after closing time.  At those times I smoke whatever I want.  Sometimes it is an $8 cigar, sometimes a $30 cigar.  I still save the really special cigars (special as in how good they are to me, how limited the production is, etc., rather than price) for special occasions.  If I wanted to I could smoke Padron 80ths (one of if not my favorite cigar) all day everyday, though it would get expensive, but I would not appreciate that wonderful cigar nearly as much if I didn't use it as a "treat".  That is where the regular anniversaries and other excellent brands come in to play.  I can be perfectly happy smoking an Exclusivo or #9 and saving that 80th for a particularly good day or special occasion.  If I didn't smoke daily I might smoke nothing but 80ths, but since I smoke multiple times a day I have plenty of excellent, moderately priced cigars in my rotation.  I recommend this attitude towards the cigars to almost everyone, at especially daily smokers.  Regardless of your budget just make sure you always have something that is very special to you (whether it costs $20+ or not) to smoke on special occasions.  I guess one thing I am trying to get at is that price is not the determining factor in what is "special" to me, though often times those special cigars are pricy.  And to answer to question more directly, sometimes, but certainly not all of the time, a $20+ cigar can be worth every last penny!

Now to decide, was simply waking up today and being blessed to be alive a special enough occasion to smoke this Padron 80th natural that is on my desk?  [doh]  There are always flaws with my logic as I try to justify smoking something better everytime...

[Image: CRA_ambassador_seal-smaller.jpg]
Join CRA Today! Click Above!
[Image: RobbieofCordova-2.gif]
A wise man on another forum I frequent used to say "Nobody has 500 special occasions in their lifetime. Smoke 'em NOW!"

That said, Robbie's spot-on as well. Making the cigar the special occasion---whether it's the day, the company, or just the uninterrupted time to really appreciate it---means you'll be more likely to enjoy (and get your money's worth) out of the legendary ones.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
i'm with ty on this one.  everything is worth only as much as it's worth to you.  if you love the hell out of something $20 is a pittance.

take my wife for example.  i figure i'm into her for 7 figures over the 20 years.  now considering what she means to me and the kids uhm...wait.  on second thought someone please take my wife.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:i'm with ty on this one.  everything is worth only as much as it's worth to you.  if you love the hell out of something $20 is a pittance.

take my wife for example.  i figure i'm into her for 7 figures over the 20 years.  now considering what she means to me and the kids uhm...wait.  on second thought someone please take my wife.

Why don't you show her what you just wrote tough guy?  LOL this is Rob...

[Image: escape.gif]
Bluesman455 Wrote:
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:i'm with ty on this one.  everything is worth only as much as it's worth to you.  if you love the hell out of something $20 is a pittance.

soon as she gets up Don.  Big Grin

seriously bro one day while we were slow at work i calculated all i've invested in her, itemized it on my company's invoicing and sent her the bill marked past due.   i still haven't gotten paid.  i may just write her off as a bad debt.[lol]

[user=44]Rob The Long Island Cowboy[/user] wrote:
Quote:
Bluesman455 Wrote:

soon as she gets up Don.  Big Grin

seriously bro one day while we were slow at work i calculated all i've invested in her, itemized it on my company's invoicing and sent her the bill marked past due.   i still haven't gotten paid.  i may just write her off as a bad debt.[lol]

Thats hysterical! Rob, you are one of a kind.