Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CUBAN RESTRICTIONS
CUBA TRAVEL ADVISORY

WARNING: TOUR PACKAGES FOR SCUBA DIVING,BICYCLING, HUNTING, FISHING, HIKING OROTHER TOURIST TRAVEL IN CUBA ARE ILLEGAL

It has come to the attention of the Office of Foreign AssetsControl (“OFAC”) that certain specialty tours to Cuba that are offered by travel agencies in third countries are marketed to U.S travelers as being in compliance with the prohibitions of the U.S. embargo against Cuba. These trips are usually designed for individuals with an interest in outdoor activities, such as scuba diving, bicycling, hunting or fishing. The sales material often maintains that because the traveler prepays the third country travel agency for expenses that otherwise would be paid by the traveler while within Cuba, such as hotels, meals, ground transportation, equipment rental and services, etc., this type of trip is in compliance with the applicable U.S. regulations on travel-related transactions involving Cuba that apply to persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

CUBAN CIGAR UPDATE

Recent changes to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515 (the “Regulations”), administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”), have prompted OFAC to revise the Cuban Cigar Update previously issued on June 19, 1998. This notice provides important information to the public on Cuban-origin tobacco products.

Importation of Cuban-Origin Cigars Into the United States There is now an across the board ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products, as well as most other products of Cuban origin. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by OFAC to engage in Cuba travel related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. traveler, including purchases at duty free shops. Importation of these Cuban goods is prohibited whether the goods are purchased directly by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through the catalog mail purchases. Prior to August 1, 2004, persons returning to the United States who were licensed under the Regulations to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions were authorized by general license to import up to $100 worth of Cuban merchandise as accompanied baggage. Cuban tobacco and alcohol products were included in that general license. That general license was removed from the Regulations.

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries

The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

Cigars Produced from Cuban Tobacco Seed OFAC does not consider cigars produced from tobacco grown and harvested in a third country from Cuban seeds to constitute a growth or product of Cuba. Therefore, the Regulations do not prevent transactions or dealing in those products by persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, as long as there is no interest of Cuba or a Cuban national, direct or indirect, in the sale of such cigars.
Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC.

Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC's Enforcement Division at (202)......... (I dont think we need the numbers here... I mean no one here would participate in any such violation of US law)
Screw 'em, twice!!..............[cigar]= Cuban Cigar!!
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
lz6 Wrote:Screw 'em, twice!!..............[cigar]= Cuban Cigar!!
ROTFLMAO!!!
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Let me see if I read this correctly.   If I go to Victoria, BC and buy a Cuban cigar and smoke it there, I can still be fined $250,000 and have a tour of Martha Stewart's old digs for 10 years?

Utter Bullshit!
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
How do they expect to enforce that one then ...... test you for possible cuban tobbacco consuption when you come back into the USA?

Sounds like they should be focusing on more important issues than this but are looking for an easy hit.

:X
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Here's the deal (that I just finished typing to my GF who showed me this OFAC article)...

...without bands nothing can be proved... so the result is only confiscation not jail and seldom fines.
With bands, well the confiscation thing set a president, so that is usually what is done.

Several people I know have had their cigars confiscated by customs on the way in (mail, fed ex, etc)... This is because OFAC is not involved. Customs is. Customs would need to call OFAC and this part of the loop is never closed... not for cigars. Customs considers cigars too trivial.

Not to mention that many of the Cubans imported are in fact not Cubans but counterfeits... This would be too embarrassing for customs/OFAC to begin prosecuting someone for illegally importing contraband only to find out is is some second rate benign/legal cigar. So they tend to avoid that part and resort to confiscate and destroy (yeah, destroy by fire one at a time).
"(1) is of Cuban origin"

I guess that means no sex with Cuban girls Wink
Bobgun Wrote:Let me see if I read this correctly.   If I go to Victoria, BC and buy a Cuban cigar and smoke it there, I can still be fined $250,000 and have a tour of Martha Stewart's old digs for 10 years?

Utter Bullshit!

kind of funny trying to impose law upon it's citizens when in other countries where they have no jurisdiction.  plain stupid.  did we run out of terrorists or something?  focus people. focus.

pretty sure th erestrictions are the same as tey were when the law was enacted, with regaurds to US citizens in foreign countries.
Beerlord Wrote:pretty sure th erestrictions are the same as tey were when the law was enacted, with regaurds to US citizens in foreign countries.
minor changes... not enough to make a difference... but this was "plain English". So I thought I'd post it.