Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CORONAVIRUS
Any thoughts? It seems to be coming to the states. Is it as bad as the media says. Certainly, the stock market thinks it is.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(02-29-2020, 07:38 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Any thoughts? It seems to be coming to the states.

I've been following it on a few other forums.  From what I've heard:

It's like a bad cold (actual, the "common cold" is a Corona virus, just a different strain).  This one hits & spreads like the flu.  Secondary infections in people with weakened immune systems are the most at risk ie: infants, elderly, sick, etc.

Standard flu/cold prevention tips apply:
Quote:Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with your hands.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
If you are able to do so, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
developments. 

The info coming out of china is screwed & unreliable, to say the least.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(02-29-2020, 07:38 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Is it as bad as the media says. Certainly, the stock market thinks it is.

Here's a thought (or two Big Grin )

Scaring people drives media "clicks".  They profit and if it all makes the economy worse & hurts Trump's re-election chances, it's a win-win for the media.

The media is interfering with our elections more than any foreign country ever could.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Now I'm not saying this virus is nothing to worry about, it is.  I worry about catching the flu too.
And if people think now is the time to stock up & "prep"...they're way too late.
Maybe this is the tin-foil hat in me coming out. But, I'm more inclined to think that if anything, this is being downplayed in the media. I think it's probably being softened up to avoid mass panic.
You don't just basically shut down all of China for no reason.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
Or all the schools in Tokyo for a month.
I also think common sense plays into this as in all situations.
We need to be “Media Savvy” and watch out for media overload.
The death rate is higher so that is a concern.
I’m not gonna travel to China at the moment but we are suppose to go on a wine tour in Starting in San Francisco in two months. Not canceling that but will see what happens. Health is more important then losing out on a plane ticket or two.
As far as Trump, whatever he does or doesn’t do, the media and Dems will blame him but again this forum
Avoids politics.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Japan has the right idea with closing the schools, including the colleges, IMHO.  Stops large groups of people meeting & possibly spreading the virus.

I'm not sure what the accurate death rate will be.  Numbers coming out of China can't be trusted & they don't have a comparable health care system like we have in the US.  We need to see some real scientific studies before we get alarmed but that doesn't mean don't prepare or don't take precautions.

I'm apt to treat it as if there is a bad flu going around (which there already is).

And if you get sick...get help right away.  Don't try to tough it out at home, unless under a doc's advise.
New case confirmed overnight in Chicago.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hhs-sec-azar-says-new-coronavirus-case-appears-in-chicago

Quote:HHS Secretary Azar says new coronavirus case appears in Chicago

EXCLUSIVE:
Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Sunday that a new case of the coronavirus appeared in Chicago overnight, marking the latest spread of the outbreak in the United States.

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," Azar confirmed the latest infection as fears mount that the virus will continue to spread across the country.

"We've had 23 cases here in the United States that are not a result of us repatriating individuals from Japan or China," Azar said. "Of those individuals, we've got cases in Chicago as well as Washington and Oregon where we do -- and two in California where we do not yet know why they contracted the novel coronavirus."

There are now three cases of the coronavirus in Illinois, with the Chicago Tribune reporting Saturday night that the latest case "resulted in presumptive positives for COVID-19." The patient is hospitalized in isolation and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention protocols have been implemented, as officials try to locate and monitor anyone who had contact with the infected individual.

According to the Associated Press, there have been 62 cases of the coronavirus in the United States with one death so far.

The man who died was in his 50s, had underlying health conditions and no history of travel or contact with a known COVID-19 case, health officials in Washington state said at a news conference. A spokesperson for EvergreenHealth Medical Center, Kayse Dahl, said the person died in the facility in the Seattle suburb of Kirkland.

“At this point we do not know how this gentleman contracted the illness,” Azar said. “Right now there's a large investigation going on in the nursing home, the hospital, contact tracing to try to determine where that disease was introduced and how it might have spread.”

A growing number of cases in California, Washington state and Oregon are confounding authorities because the infected people hadn't recently traveled overseas or had any known close contact with a traveler or an infected person.

Azar tried to assuage concerns that the outbreak of coronavirus wil spread widely among the American public, telling Fox News that the chances on contracting the virus "remains low," but noted that "things can change rapidly."

"The risk to any individual American remains low," Azar said. "Thanks to the efforts the president has taken, they stay low.  We're working to keep it that way.

He added: "But things can change rapidly.  They should know we have the best public health system in the world though looking out for them."
Just pointing out... the common cold virus going around is also a Corona virus.