Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIGAR ROLLING 101
Hi All, I am going to try and roll my own cigars. I found a couple of sites that sell the tobacco leaves and watched a couple of videos. Does anyone know or have a leaf recipe for rolling their own cigars? I found some Brazilian leaves for filler leaves. Binder leaves and wrapper leaves which I saw a couple of Cubano leaves. Of course there are Nicaraguan and Dominican leaves. I am kind of looking for a smooth, even burning, medium to strong blend of leaves that is quite flavorful. I know I'm not asking for much right! Any help would be appreciated before I purchase the tobacco leaves. Also for the rolling accessories any recommendations for the cutter (possible pizza style knife cutter) or anything else that might help. I am just thinking it would be nice to roll your own and be able to age them and pass them out to your buddies to try. Also it might make a good hobby! Marty

SEMPER FI
Could you reach out to someone like Sam Leccia on Facebook or perhaps a local roller?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(10-20-2020, 04:31 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Could you reach out to someone like Sam Leccia on Facebook or perhaps a local roller?

Where I live there isn't any local rollers. But I have watched a few videos on how to roll cigars. I am not quite set up yet. But I am thinking that rolling cigars might be a good hobby once all set up. My wife thinks of it as kind of weird! Who is Sam Leccia? Never heard the name before but always interested in meeting new people. Have you ever thought about rolling your own cigars?
Sam use to roll cigars for Nub / Oliva.

http://www.facebook.com/sam.leccia

Probably watching videos is your best bet.

I never had an interest in rolling stogies, just smocking them.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I'd like to learn how they roll them. 

I don't think I could do a reasonable job though & get them to be smokeable & wife would kill me if I started a new hobby.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Sam's a good guy (IMHO).  If you have facebook, send him a friend request & then PM him about it.
He has a StogieBird group on facebook too.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(10-22-2020, 09:44 AM)Tonto Wrote: Sam's a good guy (IMHO).  If you have facebook, send him a friend request & then PM him about it.

Like I was saying, my wife thinks that it's kind of weird. Plus I to purchase up to five or six different tobacco leaves and would have to buy a cutting board 17" to 18" long and 10" to 12" wide to have a good flat rolling surface. I would need a chaveta to cut the leaves with or a pizza slicer (much cheaper), cigar glue, a 1" or so pipe fitting to cut the caps out of the leaves and on one video I watched, showed a flat ceramic piece that would fit under the cutting board to moisten the wrapper leaf so you can stretch it out and roll it up tight as the final process. I don't think that I am going to invest in a cigar press, at least not for now plus I already have a 300 count humidor to let them age in. From what is said, they need about 3 months of aging to let the tobaccos mingle together after you give them a week or two to dry out. It's not something that I would be doing all the time. but I think that it would be fun to roll, smoke and pass out to friends around the campfire home rolled cigars and get different opinions. Maybe the first couple would be terrible, but I would hope to do a better job the more I rolled. Until then
(10-22-2020, 01:29 PM)bigbear440 Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 09:44 AM)Tonto Wrote: Sam's a good guy (IMHO).  If you have facebook, send him a friend request & then PM him about it.

Like I was saying, my wife thinks that it's kind of weird. Plus I to purchase up to five or six different tobacco leaves and would have to buy a cutting board 17" to 18" long and 10" to 12" wide to have a good flat rolling surface. I would need a chaveta to cut the leaves with or a pizza slicer (much cheaper), cigar glue, a 1" or so pipe fitting to cut the caps out of the leaves and on one video I watched, showed a flat ceramic piece that would fit under the cutting board to moisten the wrapper leaf so you can stretch it out and roll it up tight as the final process. I don't think that I am going to invest in a cigar press, at least not for now plus I already have a 300 count humidor to let them age in. From what is said, they need about 3 months of aging to let the tobaccos mingle together after you give them a week or two to dry out. It's not something that I would be doing all the time. but I think that it would be fun to roll, smoke and pass out to friends around the campfire home rolled cigars and get different opinions. Maybe the first couple would be terrible, but I would hope to do a better job the more I rolled. Until then

It's an interesting idea.  If I was 20 years younger, I'd seriously look into it.  I did once think about growing a few tabbacco plants, but I couldn't find any seeds.  I'd still be interesting in planting some, just to grow them as I don't think I could grow enough to roll into some cigars.
(10-26-2020, 03:26 PM)Tonto Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 01:29 PM)bigbear440 Wrote:

It's an interesting idea.  If I was 20 years younger, I'd seriously look into it.  I did once think about growing a few tabbacco plants, but I couldn't find any seeds.  I'd still be interesting in planting some, just to grow them as I don't think I could grow enough to roll into some cigars.

You can buy seeds online also tobacco leaves. I am thinking it might be a good retirement hobby. But before I retire, I would like to lear  how to roll them first.
So there are two types of rollers that come to mind --

First are just what I call "Wrapper Jockeys". These guy have cigars supplies to them just missing the wrapper, and all they do is apply them for the show. I've seen a lot of cigar manufacturers do this - the factory will ship a bunch of cigars and wrapper leaves out to them and that is what they do for show. I'm not a fan of this - I think it is disingenuous. I'd rather just have them had me a cigar.

I sounds like you have looked into it and want to do the entire process from tobacco selection to blending, bunching, rolling, etc. That is the way to do it. Each step is a skill by itself, so learning to do everything correctly will take dedication and time. But hey, if you'll be retired, sounds like a plan!

I really think that the best way to learn is to have someone teach you in person. There are some things that I can't see being taught any other way - how moist and pliable does the wrapper need to be versus it being too moist, how to bunch correctly with different tecnniques, etc.

Find a reputable roller and see if you can watch them and tag along until he/she is ready to teach you.

It takes years to master, do don't give up!