Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CC coming to US soon?
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_...2cca9a51aa

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States and Cuba will start talks on normalizing full diplomatic relations, marking the most significant shift in U.S. policy toward the communist island in decades, American officials said Wednesday. The announcement comes amid a series of new confidence-building measures between the longtime foes, including the release of American Alan Gross and the freeing of three Cubans jailed in the U.S.

President Barack Obama was to announce the policy changes from the White House at noon Wednesday.
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, said the U.S. and Cuba were moving toward normalized banking and trade ties. He also said the U.S. was poised to open an embassy in Havana in the coming months.
"This is going to do absolutely nothing to further human rights and democracy in Cuba," Rubio said in an interview. "But it potentially goes a long way in providing the economic lift that the Castro regime needs to become permanent fixtures in Cuba for generations to come."
Gross, 65, was on an American government plane bound for the U.S. Wednesday morning after being released on humanitarian grounds by the Cuban government at the request of the Obama administration. As part of the secret negotiations to secure his release, the U.S. was releasing three Cuban jailed in Florida for spying.
Obama administration officials have considered Gross' imprisonment an impediment to improving relations with Cuba.
Cuba was also releasing a non-American intelligence 'asset' along with Gross, according to a U.S. official. That official and others spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to be identified by name before Obama's remarks.
Bonnie Rubinstein, Gross' sister, heard the news from a cousin, who saw it on television.
"We're like screaming and jumping up and down," she said in a brief telephone interview from her home in Texas.
Gross was detained in December 2009 while working to set up Internet access as a subcontractor for the U.S. government's U.S. Agency for International Development, which does work promoting democracy in the communist country. It was his fifth trip to Cuba to work with Jewish communities on setting up Internet access that bypassed local censorship.
Cuba considers USAID's programs illegal attempts by the U.S. to undermine its government, and Gross was tried and sentenced to 15 years in prison.
The three Cubans released in exchange for Gross are part of the so-called Cuban Five — a group of men who were part of the "Wasp Network" sent by Cuba's then-President Fidel Castro to spy in South Florida. The men, who are hailed as heroes in Cuba, were convicted in 2001 in Miami on charges including conspiracy and failure to register as foreign agents in the U.S.
Two of the Cuban Five were previously released after finishing their sentences.
In a statement marking the fifth anniversary of Gross' detention earlier this month, Obama hinted that his release could lead to a thaw in relations with Cuba.
"The Cuban Government's release of Alan on humanitarian grounds would remove an impediment to more constructive relations between the United States and Cuba," Obama said in a statement.
Gross' family has said he was in ailing health. His wife, Judy, said in a statement earlier this month that Gross has lost more than 100 pounds, can barely walk due to chronic pain, and has lost five teeth and much of the sight in his right eye. He has begun refusing to see his wife and daughter, the new chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana and members of Cuba's small Jewish community, who had been visiting him on religious holidays.
Obama has taken some steps to ease U.S. restrictions on Cuba after Raul Castro took over as president in 2010 from his ailing brother. He has sought to ease travel and financial restrictions on Americans with family in Cuba, but has resisted calls to drop the embargo.
Among the expected changes as a result of the improvement in U.S.-Cuba relations is that licensed American travelers to Cuba will now be able to return to the U.S. with $400 in Cuban goods, including tobacco and alcohol products worth less than $100 combined. This means the long-standing ban on importing Cuban cigars is over, although there are still limits, according to a U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the official White House announcement.
The surprise prisoner swap has echoes of the deal the U.S. cut earlier this year to secure the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who had been held by the Taliban. In exchange for his release in May, the U.S. turned over five Taliban prisoners held at the Guantanamo Bay detention center.
_
Associated Press writers Jessica Gresko, Jack Gillum and Ken Dilanian contributed to this report.
_
Follow Julie Pace at http://twitter.com/jpaceDC and Matthew Lee at http://twitter.com/APDiploWriter
No Justice, No Peace!
Also interesting:
Quote:The United States will also ease travel restrictions across all 12 categories currently envisioned under limited circumstances under American law, including family visits, official visits and journalistic, professional, educational and religious activities, public performances, officials said. Ordinary tourism, however, will remain prohibited.
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/...tions.html

I bet that Bill could get a thumbs up for a visit by saying is a professional-educational experience to enhance the education he can provide to his students.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States and Cuba will start talks on normalizing full diplomatic relations, marking the most significant shift in U.S. policy toward the communist island in decades, American officials said Wednesday. The announcement comes amid a series of new confidence-building measures between the longtime foes, including the release of American Alan Gross and the freeing of three Cubans jailed in the U.S.

President Barack Obama was to announce the policy changes from the White House at noon Wednesday.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, said the U.S. and Cuba were moving toward normalized banking and trade ties. He also said the U.S. was poised to open an embassy in Havana in the coming months.

"This is going to do absolutely nothing to further human rights and democracy in Cuba," Rubio said in an interview. "But it potentially goes a long way in providing the economic lift that the Castro regime needs to become permanent fixtures in Cuba for generations to come."

Gross, 65, was on an American government plane bound for the U.S. Wednesday morning after being released on humanitarian grounds by the Cuban government at the request of the Obama administration. As part of the secret negotiations to secure his release, the U.S. was releasing three Cuban jailed in Florida for spying.

Cuba President Raul Castro planned to speak at noon about Gross' release, according to Cuba's U.N. mission.

Obama administration officials have considered Gross' imprisonment an impediment to improving relations with Cuba.

Cuba was also releasing a non-American intelligence "asset" along with Gross, according to a U.S. official. That official and others spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to be identified by name before Obama's remarks.

Bonnie Rubinstein, Gross' sister, heard the news from a cousin, who saw it on television.

"We're like screaming and jumping up and down," she said in a brief telephone interview from her home in Texas.

Gross was detained in December 2009 while working to set up Internet access as a subcontractor for the U.S. government's U.S. Agency for International Development, which does work promoting democracy in the communist country. It was his fifth trip to Cuba to work with Jewish communities on setting up Internet access that bypassed local censorship.

Cuba considers USAID's programs illegal attempts by the U.S. to undermine its government, and Gross was tried and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The three Cubans released in exchange for Gross are part of the so-called Cuban Five — a group of men who were part of the "Wasp Network" sent by Cuba's then-President Fidel Castro to spy in South Florida. The men, who are hailed as heroes in Cuba, were convicted in 2001 in Miami on charges including conspiracy and failure to register as foreign agents in the U.S.

Two of the Cuban Five were previously released after finishing their sentences.

In a statement marking the fifth anniversary of Gross' detention earlier this month, Obama hinted that his release could lead to a thaw in relations with Cuba.

"The Cuban Government's release of Alan on humanitarian grounds would remove an impediment to more constructive relations between the United States and Cuba," Obama said in a statement.

Gross' family has said he was in ailing health. His wife, Judy, said in a statement earlier this month that Gross has lost more than 100 pounds, can barely walk due to chronic pain, and has lost five teeth and much of the sight in his right eye. He has begun refusing to see his wife and daughter, the new chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana and members of Cuba's small Jewish community, who had been visiting him on religious holidays.

Obama has taken some steps to ease U.S. restrictions on Cuba after Raul Castro took over as president in 2010 from his ailing brother. He has sought to ease travel and financial restrictions on Americans with family in Cuba, but has resisted calls to drop the embargo.

Among the expected changes as a result of the improvement in U.S.-Cuba relations is that licensed American travelers to Cuba will now be able to return to the U.S. with $400 in Cuban goods, including tobacco and alcohol products worth less than $100 combined. This means the long-standing ban on importing Cuban cigars is over, although there are still limits, according to a U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the official White House announcement.

The surprise prisoner swap has echoes of the deal the U.S. cut earlier this year to secure the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who had been held by the Taliban. In exchange for his release in May, the U.S. turned over five Taliban prisoners held at the Guantanamo Bay detention center.
No Justice, No Peace!
Supply & demand.

Cuba can't increase the supply of cigars much, but the demand will skyrocket...along with the prices & also the amount of counterfeits will go through the roof as well.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(12-17-2014, 12:31 PM)Tonto Wrote: Supply & demand.

Cuba can't increase the supply of cigars much, but the demand will skyrocket...along with the prices & also the amount of counterfeits will go through the roof as well.

All true... I wouldn't be surprised to see Cubans going for upwards of $100/ea.. There's not a guy in any B&M I visit, that wouldn't pay $100 a stick without hesitation.
(12-17-2014, 12:57 PM)Teck1337 Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 12:31 PM)Tonto Wrote: Supply & demand.

All true... I wouldn't be surprised to see Cubans going for upwards of $100/ea.. There's not a guy in any B&M I visit, that wouldn't pay $100 a stick without hesitation.

God some people are stupid
No Justice, No Peace!
Well, while this is a step in that direction, this seems at this point to only apply to people that are traveling back... and they are limited to $100 worth... so that could be say 8-12 cigars on average depending...

I have the same fears about supply/demand issues and such, and what ramifications those changes will bring.

I am actually okay with the embargo... keeps prices down. Wink

As for $100 cigars... it doesn't shock me that idiots would pay that. There are people out there with more money than brains...

At the same time, there are cigar companies in NIC/DR/HON that are selling $2 cigars (in referring to overall quality, tobacco, etc.) for $12, and selling 50-cent cigars for $7, etc...

And I had thought about going a bit back... I knew a few college professors and such that had traveled there for education, etc, and I'm pretty sure I could have made it... but as life moves on, so did those thoughts. At least for now... Wink

Watch cigars take off as the must have accessory for celebs all across the U.S. now, the band will be prime photograph material and the wannabes will jump on that band wagon with vigor

I have no doubt that I will feel the back lash in pricing even through my suppliers because of this, add the 150% tax from the UK on to that and it may just be the straw that breaks my back for buying and smoking in the future

I think the backlash from Cuban stock jumping in price will also see non-Cuban premiums taking a jump and the $10 smoke will become a thing of the past as the lower end of the market keep a hold of those profit shirt tails

Damn
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
(12-18-2014, 02:19 AM)MaytagMan Wrote: Well, while this is a step in that direction, this seems at this point to only apply to people that are traveling back... and they are limited to $100 worth... so that could be say 8-12 cigars on average depending...
That could easily be 2 boxes... An old friend has been there a couple of times and he says if you speak Spanish really well, you can tell when someones trying to hand you shit, and know enough people.. Its not impossible to get 2-3 boxes for <$100 USD. The country he currently lives in has a restriction on bringing back more than 50 sticks... and ~$100 worth is what he normally grabs and thats ~2boxes.
point 1, I dont think cuban cigars are what they used to be. Especially since the demise of the USSR the support for that country, which has largely been financial, has stopped and steadily the country had dedeveloped into a true 3rd world country with all industry suffering. (of course this is just my opinion)
point 2. this is just for people traveling back from Cuba. For most of us there is nothing in these new rullings that will enable us to go to cuba or bring back cigars from europe or buy them online
point 3. http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/
and maybe this just supports my first point, take a look at CA's new top 25, The #1 cigar is not cuban. In fact Cubans are only responsible for 40% of the top 10. Something that in the past would have been upwards of 70%
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer