Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro 10th Anniversary Perfecto
http://colbypantssmokinglounge.blogspot.com/2007/12/cao-lanniversaire-maduro-10th.html

[Image: mad1.JPG]

Length/Ring: 6" x 50
Shape: Perfecto
Wrapper: Maduro

Appearance: This was one elegant looking perfecto. Covered in a beautiful deep french roast coffee colored wrapper, there was nary a vein or imperfection to be seen. This cigar seemed to be oozing flavorful essential oils as I held it. A sight, that's for sure.

Pre-Light: Clip was easy, and the prelight draw was free and had notes of sweet cocoa and roasted coffee.

Burn/Draw: The burn was never an issue. From the very beginning, lighting the perfecto nib until the final nub this cigar burned straight and true. The draw was free and easy. . .maybe a smidge to easy, as it seemed to offer no resistance at all. The cigar didn't seem to burn hot, so it wasn't a very big deal, but I would have liked a little resistance. The smoke, while quite copious, was cool and flavorful. The ash on the cigar was light grey and held quite well. Overall a well constructed cigar, though I may have liked it a bit more firmly packed.

[Image: mnd2.JPG]

Flavors: This cigar tasted like a slightly improved version of a CAO maduro. Is it wrong for me to find this to be a bit of a disappointment? The cigar had nice maduro flavor, some underlying tanginess, with top notes of semi sweet cocoa and french roasted coffee wafting in and out throughout the experience, a great example of what a medium strength/ medium bodied cigar could taste like. So then, why do I feel slightly let down?

I think it has a bit to do with the marketing. This is supposed to be an Anniversary Cigar, which to me means its supposed to be something special (see, for example, Padron Anniversary). and while it is an improvement over what I find to be a pretty nice stogie (the regular CAO Maduro), is it really that much better? Maybe, but I don't know if it is enough to be a special edition and command a premium price. So overall while this was a pleasant smoke, I doubt I will be buying any more. You can take that however you like.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Awesome Review Tomzo! I agree 100% with you on feeling let down. I havent smoked one but after reading your reveiw it sounds like the vision story all over. If CAO is going to make new cigars and hype them up or give them an anniversary name make sure they smoke like the hype or the name.!!
BaileyCAO Wrote:Awesome Review Tomzo! I agree 100% with you on feeling let down. I havent smoked one but after reading your reveiw it sounds like the vision story all over. If CAO is going to make new cigars and hype them up or give them an anniversary name make sure they smoke like the hype or the name.!!
 CAO new releases lately have been signifigantly less than awe inspiring... :?
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
MikeD Wrote:
BaileyCAO Wrote:Awesome Review Tomzo! I agree 100% with you on feeling let down. I havent smoked one but after reading your reveiw it sounds like the vision story all over. If CAO is going to make new cigars and hype them up or give them an anniversary name make sure they smoke like the hype or the name.!!
Excellent Review Tom.

You know I have been feeling the same way, I questioned myself the other night, and have a theory. Let me know what you think. Perhaps they are making the same quality sticks they have always made, and I have out grown their cigars and just moved on to better, and more complex cigars. Maybe my taste in cigars has brought me to the next level. Just a thought, I could be wrong, but I know my tastes have changed a lot in the last few years. 5 years ago I would never liked the El Colbre, I smoked mostly mild cigars. Now most mild cigars bore me. 
Thanks Tom for the review.  What is the price on this cigar?  I generally like CAO cigars and have yet to try this one.  I am sure I will if the price is decent. 

Like you Fishound I am not big into mild cigars.  I feel as if I am left hanging.  Yet, I have not dived into the really strong cigars like El Colbre as of yet but I do like all the full bodies Cubans I have tried.
US_Tank Wrote:Thanks Tom for the review.  What is the price on this cigar?  I generally like CAO cigars and have yet to try this one.  I am sure I will if the price is decent. 

Like you Fishound I am not big into mild cigars.  I feel as if I am left hanging.  Yet, I have not dived into the really strong cigars like El Colbre as of yet but I do like all the full bodies Cubans I have tried.
Just so I'm not misunderstood. I'm not into these in your face power house as much Ligro as we can jam into a stick cigars. However I use the El Cobre for example, because it is the most full bodied cigar I've smoked and enjoyed tremendously, but the El Cobre as strong as it is, is very balanced.

fishhound Wrote:
US_Tank Wrote:Thanks Tom for the review.  What is the price on this cigar?  I generally like CAO cigars and have yet to try this one.  I am sure I will if the price is decent. 

Just so I'm not misunderstood. I'm not into these in your face power house as much Ligro as we can jam into a stick cigars. However I use the El Cobre for example, because it is the most full bodied cigar I've smoked and enjoyed tremendously, but the El Cobre as strong as it is, is very balanced.
I completely understood what you said and I am right there with ya!
fishhound Wrote:
MikeD Wrote:
Excellent Review Tom.

You know I have been feeling the same way, I questioned myself the other night, and have a theory. Let me know what you think. Perhaps they are making the same quality sticks they have always made, and I have out grown their cigars and just moved on to better, and more complex cigars. Maybe my taste in cigars has brought me to the next level. Just a thought, I could be wrong, but I know my tastes have changed a lot in the last few years. 5 years ago I would never liked the El Colbre, I smoked mostly mild cigars. Now most mild cigars bore me. 
this is wheree I seem to be although I do like the brazilia box press, gol & the smaller sopranos.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
fishhound Wrote:
MikeD Wrote:
Excellent Review Tom.

this is wheree I seem to be although I do like the brazilia box press, gol & the smaller sopranos.
Agreed, they have a charm all to themselves.
fishhound Wrote:Excellent Review Tom.

Could be the case for you.  In my case I reall still do enjoy the CAO Maduros on occasion, I just dont think that this cigar distinguished itself enough from the regular line to merit a "special edition" type labeling.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool