Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online getting closer to B&M'S?
A friend of mine here at Oppenheimer smokes cigars (good for me, he's the Chief Administrative Officer). I turned him onto a few of my favorite online vendors & brands (He lives in Elmsford and never knew about Atlantic until I turned him on to them... He uses them now regularly). He recently bought 2 boxes of cigars for a very reasonable price at Famous Smoke. The prices were great as expected. Then the surprises. Not only was their no tax, but on all orders over $100, no shipping. Wait, it gets better. He ordered the sticks at 4pm on Tuesday. They were delivered 2PM the following day. Under 22 hours.
I told him that was like a B&M experience without the NY Tax & the sometimes existing attitude.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:A friend of mine here at Oppenheimer smokes cigars (good for me, he's the Chief Administrative Officer). I turned him onto a few of my favorite online vendors & brands (He lives in Elmsford and never knew about Atlantic until I turned him on to them... He uses them now regularly). He recently bought 2 boxes of cigars for a very reasonable price at Famous Smoke. The prices were great as expected. Then the surprises. Not only was their no tax, but on all orders over $100, no shipping. Wait, it gets better. He ordered the sticks at 4pm on Tuesday. They were delivered 2PM the following day. Under 22 hours.
I told him that was like a B&M experience without the NY Tax & the sometimes existing attitude.
Famous is pretty good to deal with and in this area Skip the deliveries are lightning fast.  I know that in the past if you buy something across state lines and have it shipped in you can avoid taxes on some items but I'd watch old Elliot Spitzer up there with back taxes on Internet Purchases across state lines at some point.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Online can be great in many ways....but everybody already knows what I do....and for the majority of my purchases, I stay local and ya gotta use cash man! LOL Smile
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro.  You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
Legally you are expected to pay taxes on online out of state orders.  The responsibility is on the consumer.

Not sure about orders placed with vendors in Hong Kong.Wink

I buy boxes online - but for new sticks, I usually hit the B&M.  I still love the smell of the cigars, going in to the walk in humi, and talking to other people that enjoy this hobby.  Tough to get that online.

I go to cigar events in the local b&m and buy singles there, but for stuff like boxes its just to much.

A box of Sancho Panzas would be 80+ here so I just get that online, CA tax sucks
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Magnum, I agree completely. I support far too many B&M's here. Pay through the nose too. But I like the browsing, the talking, and the instant gratification. I was more pointing out that without shipping and under 24 hour delivery, man that sure narrows a few of the lines.

& I completely agree with Serge too. I mean, how stupid am I that I should pay $400 for a box that I can get online for $220 (these are real numbers). I could think of a bunch of other things I could do with that $...

(by the way, do you know that B&M's make $ on the tax? That's right, they typically mark up the sticks after the tax is applied. So if they get a stick for $1 & the tobacco tax is $0.35, they mark it up to $2.70 + sales tax. You'd think $2.35 but nope. They mark it up AFTER the tobacco tax is applied.)

Lastly, a great many of these online vendors ARE B&M's. CFO, Atlantic, Famous... just to name a few.
I'm with you Skip.  That instant gratification is a big part of it.  And you know we all have plenty of cigars that we could smoke at home, but yet we still hit up the B&M for more.  I don't know why, but I often feel like I can't take any sticks from my home supply, like I have to save them for something, so then I hit up the B&M and pay more than necessary.