Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Built my own walk in humidor - Need assistance in getting it cigar ready
I converted an unused closet to a cedar room. From top to bottom, all fresh cedar. So, now, what do I need to do in order to add proper humification to the room?
(11-16-2013, 11:35 AM)Comptalk Wrote: I converted an unused closet to a cedar room. From top to bottom, all fresh cedar. So, now, what do I need to do in order to add proper humification to the room?

Sounds interesting!

Was the cedar you used "Spanish cedar"?

Do you have any pics?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Talk to Bob at Aristocrat, he can get you set up.

You could also get a humidifier with sensors and do your own set up and wiring, but that would be a project...

I hope it was Spanish Cedar because regular cedar is not really good for cigars. The oils / sap is known to be poisonous and that could get on your cigars, not to mention regular cedar is very aromatic.

But your next step would be a humidification system. Depending on the size of the room you might be able to get away with a small portable humidifier. Most will not humidify to the right level without some modification to the hydrostat. A water supply is also good or you will have to refill the system quite often.

When your room finally hits the right humidity level the wood will absorb the humidity to its max. When that happens you will often see some of the natural oils and sap from the wood. (ever open a box of cigars and some are sticky or stuck to the wood) That's another reason why regular cedar is not a good option, as the oil from regular cedar could easily get on your fingers, then your eyes, on your cigar, etc.

Another problem you may face is temperature. With 70% humidity and 70 degrees its a nice humid room. But if one wall of the room is an outside wall of your house, the temp will always be different on that wall. Condensation can and WILL develop which can easily lead to mold in the room, or actually between the wall and your cedar. When you put up your cedar did you seal behind it with plastic? If not, be very concerned about this because the humidity will pass through the cedar and make its way into your wall. Then you have a breeding ground for black mold between the walls of your home in that area.

Not trying to scare you.... but when you build a room there are quite a few things that really should be done to not only ensure your cigar collection is well kept, but the safety of your home & health as well. Smile
(11-16-2013, 11:35 AM)Comptalk Wrote: I converted an unused closet to a cedar room. From top to bottom, all fresh cedar. So, now, what do I need to do in order to add proper humification to the room?

Pics?
Yep, placed boards on the bottom to separate the concrete floor from the wood as well as tyvek before placing the cedar on the walls and floor. Yes, it is spanish cedar, pics attached. It is not on an outside wall, so that will not be an issue. It is in the middle of the basement. Any recommendations on the type of system I should get? Links and names would be appreciated!

[Image: 96e2.jpg]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

[Image: a239.jpg]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

[Image: lrrb.jpg]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

[Image: no3d.jpg]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

[Image: azdg.jpg]Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Looking good!

As Maytagman said..."Talk to Bob at Aristocrat, he can get you set up." Tell him what you're doing, give him the dimensions of the room & he'll let you know what type of system you need.

eta link: http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Very nice!!
Super cool, I agree contact Bob, he's in Texas.I have his system and it's the best..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
That looks like an awesome setup. I'd love to see some pics after you get it filled up.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.