Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston health board may stamp out cigar bars
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/2008_12_09_Boston_health_board_may_stamp_out_cigar_bars

By Christine McConville
Tuesday, December 9, 2008

In the cozy confines of a former speakeasy in Boston’s North End, men and women gather nightly to sip cognac and savor a cigar.

But these days, Stanza dei Sigari, the cigar lovers’ respite on Hanover Street, isn’t so relaxed.

On Thursday, the Boston Public Health Commission will vote on a tough smoking ban that could put this cigar bar, and others like it, out of business.

“I think it’s kind of unconstitutional, telling people not to smoke in a controlled environment,” said Linda Riccio, one of the owners of the dark-paneled saloon.

“Where will it end?” she asked. “Are they going to tell people they can’t smoke on the streets?”

The city’s health officials may expand Boston’s ban on workplace smoking by prohibiting smoking in cigar and hookah bars, on restaurant patios and loading docks.

The proposed rules seek to ban tobacco sales on college campuses and in drug stores, too.

While critics say the move goes too far, Roger Swartz, director of the health commission’s community initiatives bureau, said the new rules are intended to protect people from the ills of tobacco, in all its forms.

The proposal has sparked an outcry among cigar aficionados.

Since September, when the health commission gave preliminary approval to the new regulations, the commission has received hundreds of complaints.

Most are protesting the proposed smoking ban in cigar bars, health commission spokeswoman Ann Scales said.

To Riccio and other supporters, this ban would unnecessarily limit a beloved adult activity.

Riccio’s clients include businessmen, doctors and guys from the neighborhood.

“They come here to smoke, and they know what they are doing,” she said
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
George Orwell, please call your office.

The Ministry of Health is not amused.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/2008_12_09_Boston_health_board_may_stamp_out_cigar_bars

By Christine McConville

In the cozy confines of a former speakeasy in Boston’s North End, men and women gather nightly to sip cognac and savor a cigar.

But these days, Stanza dei Sigari, the cigar lovers’ respite on Hanover Street, isn’t so relaxed.

On Thursday, the Boston Public Health Commission will vote on a tough smoking ban that could put this cigar bar, and others like it, out of business.

“I think it’s kind of unconstitutional, telling people not to smoke in a controlled environment,” said Linda Riccio, one of the owners of the dark-paneled saloon.

“Where will it end?” she asked. “Are they going to tell people they can’t smoke on the streets?”

The city’s health officials may expand Boston’s ban on workplace smoking by prohibiting smoking in cigar and hookah bars, on restaurant patios and loading docks.

The proposed rules seek to ban tobacco sales on college campuses and in drug stores, too.

While critics say the move goes too far, Roger Swartz, director of the health commission’s community initiatives bureau, said the new rules are intended to protect people from the ills of tobacco, in all its forms.

Since September, when the health commission gave preliminary approval to the new regulations, the commission has received hundreds of complaints.

Most are protesting the proposed smoking ban in cigar bars, health commission spokeswoman Ann Scales said.

To Riccio and other supporters, this ban would unnecessarily limit a beloved adult activity.

Already done in New Hampshire. In fact you can't even smoke on your own property if you can be seen from the street!
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/2008_12_09_Boston_health_board_may_stamp_out_cigar_bars

By Christine McConville

“Where will it end?” she asked. “[color="darkred"]Are they going to tell people they can’t smoke on the streets?”
[/color]

Already done in New Hampshire. In fact you can't even smoke on your own property if you can be seen from the street!
Are you serious? That is insane, what the hell is happening to this country.
fishhound Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Already done in New Hampshire. In fact you can't even smoke on your own property if you can be seen from the street!
Are you serious? That is insane, what the hell is happening to this country.

Too much democracy, not enough US Constitution  Sad

As i've warned, any activity like cigars, alcohol, free speech, firearms ownership, etc, can be made illegal if 51% of the population oppose it.  Hell, the SUPREME COURT only ruled 5-4 that Americans have a right to own firearms. 

I made a new friend Sunday at my lounge. A great guy I will get to sign up here the next time I meet with him.

We talked about the new laws... He said a few profound things.
  • "This country was founded on tobacco"
  • "In a country where a man can marry a man, why can't I smoke a cigar?"
I like this guy.
I did a search on NH smoking laws. I only found information banning smoking in bars and restaurants. Nothing about not being able to smoke on your own property. I really have my doubts about that. Especially when the state motto is live free or die.
fishhound Wrote:I did a search on NH smoking laws. I only found information banning smoking in bars and restaurants. Nothing about not being able to smoke on your own property. I really have my doubts about that. Especially when the state motto is live free or die.

I have a few friends who live in the community where this law was passed.

I think it's Nashua. No smoking where the public can see you. This includes your front yard, your car, etc.
[wtf2], if this keeps up, eventually we are going to have to have a government pass to take a s-hit !!!  S-it Stamps !!!  
aka: The Bouncer
"I Herfed with The Mum" !! And have the shirt to prove it !!!!
I got my "Big Cock t-shirt from Tankie !!!
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
fishhound Wrote:I did a search on NH smoking laws. I only found information banning smoking in bars and restaurants. Nothing about not being able to smoke on your own property. I really have my doubts about that. Especially when the state motto is live free or die.

I have a few friends who live in the community where this law was passed.

I think it's Nashua. No smoking where the public can see you. This includes your front yard, your car, etc.
That is ridiculous. How can they possibly stop you from smoking on your own property. What happens if you don't obey? Do the smoking Nazi's come pay you a visit?