Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Pearl Morado Torpedo
I have a few cigars that I have smoked that I need to complete reviews on.  I have noticed that we have a lot of new members and a lot of guests visiting Stogie Chat.  I assume these Stogie Chat web surfers are in the quest of information so I feel compelled to keep writing some reviews.

My lastest smoke last night was the Black Pearl Morado Torpedo.  Cigar Aficionado gave this cigar a remarkable 93 rating and classified it as one of the best of the year.  At $8.50 per stick this seems like an excellent value.  Subsequently, in the vertical ratings, the Black Pearl Morado Toro 6" x 50 for $7.95 rated a 90 while the Black Pearl Morado Robusto 4.75" x 52 for $7.50 rated a 92.  This strong vertical rating puts the Black Pearl Morado line right at the top of the class in 2007 for its line up.  Its easy to see why this line up did so well as the Black Pearl Morado pairs a Cameroon wrapper with a Nicaraguan blend of tobacco. 

But how many of you have actually heard of this cigar?  Not many!  I heard about this cigar but it was a hard one to find.  One can obtain them in 5 packs or boxes from Atlantic Cigars as I did.  Quoting Cigar Insider the Black Pearl Morado was first showcased behind a glass case as a concept cigar at the 2005 Tobacco Retailers of America Trade Show.  Initial releases were continuously postponed due to wrapper shortages and changes of the blend.  Brand owner Doug Wood finally tabbed this cigar for release in 2007 when he had enough wrapper and was satisfied with the final blend of this cigar. 

Morado (pronounced More-ah-though) in Spanish means purple and the cigars are presented in an elegant purple manner.  Purple was chosen as it represents royalty and Doug Wood wanted the fabulous cigar associated as such.  I do not have a box of these but trust me when I say the box presentation looks stunning, even if you view purple as an undesireable color.  The following are the Black Pearl Morado Torpedo's  the day I received them:

[Image: IMG_3100.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3102.jpg]

As you can see the Black Pearl Morado's are wrapped in cedar and some silken bands provide an elegant touch.  The cedar/camaroon wrapper combination provide a wonderful aroma to the sense of smell.

I let these cigars sit for a few days but I could not wait any longer so I finally lit one up last night.  Temperatures in my heated garage were 60 degrees and as you can see I smoked with my hunting blanket on my legs while I watched some television.

[Image: IMG_3116.jpg]

The band is also elegant looking although not my favorite design in the world.

[Image: IMG_3118.jpg]

Appearance/Construction:  The overall appearance is truly one of the best this year.  The Cameroon wrapper looks fabulous and the construction is tight.  During cutting and smoking this cigar held together as one of the best.

Burn/Draw:  I softly toasted the foot with my torch and the cigar lit easily and well.  The burn was perfect during my entire smoke.  I never once had to touch up.  Draw was easy.  There was also lot's of good smoke with each draw.  Maybe I paid less attention to other cigars in the past, but this cigar seemed to really smoke while at rest awaiting my next draw.  I tried to get pictures of the smoke but I could not get them to turn out.  Sorry!

[Image: IMG_3120.jpg]

My beverage of choice tonight was an excellent beer and paired quite well with this cigar:

[Image: IMG_3119.jpg]

Taste:  With a 93 rating its hard to go into a review with this thought in the back of my mind.  My first puff I was greeted with a very nice, creamy flavor.  The Black Pearl Morado is classified as a medium bodied smoke but I would say its mellow or mild and stayed that way.  The creamy flavor transgressed to a nutty, cashew flavor that was pleasant.  The aftertaste on my palate never left me with much of an indicator that I was even smoking a cigar.  Overall an excellent flavor.  The Cameroon wrapper and Nicaraguan blend is a winner here.

[Image: IMG_3127.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3128.jpg]

Summary:  Overall I really liked this cigar.  However, I felt that it was too mild for my palate and I classify this as 90-91 rating in relation to the Cigar Aficionado rating of 93.  Newbies would LOVE to try this cigar and it would be a favorite for them.  To the newbie smoker, this cigar is perfect for you at a great value. 

For the seasoned cigar smoker  I think you will get as bored with this cigar as I was.  I am not the most seasoned smoker out there so this cigar still held some interest for me.  However, I have many other cigars that I like better so the Black Pearl Morado will not be in my regular rotation.   In defense of the Black Pearl Morado this smoke is still a MUST TRY on anyone's list.   Some of you may absolutely love this smoke.  And if you do I still could see why.

I still have a few more of these so I will make a shortened review in a few months.  It might be worth picking up one of the other sizes if the opportunity presents itself to me. 

The Tank gives the Black Pearl Morado Torpedo 4.5 of 7 Stars.  Again I thought that the mildness and lack of zing from this cigar hurt its overall score in my scoring system of 7 Stars.

Thank you for those that read this review and Merry Christmas!

thanks buddy something to think about
those look great
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Man that looks really good.
That's it, I'm ordering some!
Thanks again Daryn. Are we doing a trade?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Thanks again Daryn. Are we doing a trade?

Absolutely!  Let me know if you are still up for it and I will send two of them out to you!
US_Tank Wrote:
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Thanks again Daryn. Are we doing a trade?

Absolutely!  Let me know if you are still up for it and I will send two of them out to you!

Let's wait until after Christmas etc and I'll PM you when.

Thanks buddy
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore