Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a hard-ass boss
carl609 Wrote:Better to be a little on the "hard ass" side than to be mr nice guy, in my opinion.  People need to be worried about the consequences of their actions.

With that said, I am sick of being the boss.  My union contract pays me $0.83 per hour over scale to be the boss.  I dont think it is worth the stress, but it looks good on my resume.
The free ice cream is nice too.Smile
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
I started with my company 7 years ago, as a part time, hourly employee. Throughout the last several years, I've been moving from department to department, learning the business(hotel), and what makes the place tick. These 'moves" have taught me a lot. They really have made me a better employee.

Two years ago, I was asked to take over the Engineering Department(Maintenance), by the company's VP....After a brief meeting discussing pay, benefits, hours, and the like, The VP told me that going from an hourly to a manager will surely make an enemy out of me to many of my coworkers.

This is/was really true in my case. These are people that I have worked with since the beginning. Many, much older than myself.

The way I manage, and live everyday:

I work for my family first.

I work for my company second.

If I make friends along the way...GREAT! 

If I don't, who the hell cares?

I manage with compassion, understanding, and mutual respect for all. I want my employees to come to me, and know that I am there to help them. I am what I am, and as long as we are getting the job done, and we have good communication, it all comes together in the end. 
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
As a foreman I treat my men fair. I'm a pretty nice guy, and only ask for a fair days  work for a fair days pay. Most projects will have a schedule that needs to be met. Some can be pretty hard to meet and I will lean on my men if need be. They usually will understand and step up to the plate and do what is needed of them.

Every now and then I will get a guy who thinks showing up for work is all that should be expected of him and that work time is used for making phone calls on his cell phone. I make it very clear....I will not except that. When it comes to disciple actions it is very simple. I treat it like baseball. If you step out of line it's strike one. Three strikes and your out with a bad layoff. So far out of the hundreds of guys who have work under me I have only had to give two bad layoff's in the last twelve years.

Also I would like to add, when you need to talk to an employee in a disciplinary manner it is best to do so in private. No one else needs to know he just got his ass reamed, and he will respect you more.    
I am an asshole.  Plain and simple...   That's what they say!

Truth is, be fair and consistent.  Consistency is the only thing that matters because no matter what, you will be hated.  That's your job!  Plain and simple, I knew DAY ONE I was being payed to take the heat.  Just realize that it's natural for employees to hate ya most days.  On the good one's they will laugh with you and realize you care but you're still the dick who decides if they lose their job...

Consistency is key.  I laugh with my people but I know they all hate when I'm in the building.  Honestly, I take it as a sign I'm doing my job right!Tongue  I'm an asshole...
macallan2 Wrote:I am an asshole.  Plain and simple...   That's what they say!

Truth is, be fair and consistent.  Consistency is the only thing that matters because no matter what, you will be hated.  That's your job!  Plain and simple, I knew DAY ONE I was being payed to take the heat.  Just realize that it's natural for employees to hate ya most days.  On the good one's they will laugh with you and realize you care but you're still the dick who decides if they lose their job...

Consistency is key.  I laugh with my people but I know they all hate when I'm in the building.  Honestly, I take it as a sign I'm doing my job right!Tongue  I'm an asshole...
Hey Mac, your post made me think of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTVHwAdusE