Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beer Cellaring
I know we have a bunch of beer geeks on here and was wondering if anyone is doing any cellaring/aging of there beers.

What styles do you find best suited for age?

How do you store them?

Anyone have any fancy storage space?

I started collecting some imperial stouts and other "big" beers last year. Some of the more limited bottles are in a wine fridge set at 60 degrees the others are in boxes in the coolest area I could find in the house. So nothing fancy and like cigars it is often hard to put a beer away for a while but it may be worth it in the end.
--Mike

I have not done this, but would be curious to hear how the beers respond to the aging.

I am also curious. There is not a ton of information out there on aging so a lot of it is guess work.
--Mike

The Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout I had the other night is definitely a beer I would cellar. It was very boozy when it was cold and got even more so as it warmed. I think with a year or two the alcohol taste will fade some and the bourbon, oak, roast flavors will come forward.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Being a retail beer guy, Keg, bottle and can for restaurants. I thought beer went flat. Would aging have anything to do with the way it was bottled to be able to do that? Like adding the yeast in the bottle like I have read about years ago. What's the diff?

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

(09-03-2012, 01:37 AM)tafdom Wrote: Being a retail beer guy, Keg, bottle and can for restaurants. I thought beer went flat. Would aging have anything to do with the way it was bottled to be able to do that? Like adding the yeast in the bottle like I have read about years ago. What's the diff?

It does but aging has much more to do with the style of beer. Obviously you are not going to age Bud Light... But a nice high alcohol imperial stout or barley wine will certainly age.
--Mike