Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avocado Tree
I put an avocado pit in a zip lock bag with a wet paper towel about 4-5 weeks ago and put it in the window sill in the kitchen. I checked on it today and its starting to germinate and has 1 long root coming out the bottom. I stuck some toothpicks in it and put it in a cup of water. Hopefully sometime this year I'll be able to put it in a pot and have my own little indoor avocado tree.

Anybody else ever grow one of these? Any tips?
IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST!!!!!!!
MMMMM fresh Guacamole!
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Good luck earl!
Mrs. Mum does this every year and nothing happens:

[Image: e9ce3c80.jpg]

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Try starting it in a ziplock bag with a wet paper towel.

Here's a pic. There's a root growing out of it and in the middle there is a small green leaf.
[Image: 20120903_094057.jpg]
After watching the video Tafdom posted, I think I'm going to grow garlic this year too. Gonna try it a few different ways and see which one turns out the best.
I'll try the ziplock method. I haven't had any luck w/ the jar.
deja vous
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
I like the idea of an avocado tree. My parents had a place in St. Pete, FL with 3 large avocado trees that produced fruit the size of coconuts. We literally couldn't give the stuff away fast enough. I'd love to get a tree like that growing here in NC, but not sure it would do as well.

My one question about the "indoor" aspect... wouldn't it need lots of direct sunlight to produce decent fruit? I wouldn't think an indoor tree would get enough fuel to produce much.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
(09-04-2012, 04:31 PM)B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote: My one question about the "indoor" aspect... wouldn't it need lots of direct sunlight to produce decent fruit? I wouldn't think an indoor tree would get enough fuel to produce much.

You're probably right, Brently... and not only due of the lack of direct sunlight. I don't know jack about avocados, but I'm guessing being a strictly indoor plant, there's no opportunity for pollination.