Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any railroaders?
When I was in college, I worked part-time at a railroad museum and loved every minute of it.  Rail history is something I'm really into and to be honest, I love living within a block of the BNSF line.  Anyways, I'm checking out some state newspapers and ran across the story of a freak accident where a UP worker was injured.

http://www.northplattebulletin.com/NorthPlatteBulletin/stories/?deptID=3&pageID=3&storyID=10404

From the article:

Quote:Rodgers was the conductor on a westbound UP train just west of Ogallala at 12:50 p.m. CMT, according to UP railroad officials. He was standing up out of his seat and helping the engineer, Lynn Torske, call signals as they passed an eastbound train on the track parallel to them.
Quote:UP spokesman Mark Davis said a piece of lumber had apparently worked loose on the eastbound train and was protruding off the train. As the trains passed, the lumber slammed through the front windshield of the westbound train, striking Rodgers in the abdomen and knocking him to the floor in a great deal of pain.
Quote:A railroad union representative said both Rodgers and Torske were doing their jobs when the freak accident occurred and there was nothing they could have done to prevent it.

Now if you read the commentary by local readers underneath it, the guy might have been in the wrong for standing when the thing is in motion.  I'd like to know if this guy broke any rules in being hurt, or if he's "off the hook" when it comes to this incident. 
Any thoughts?