Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another smoking ban....Seaside Heights, NJ bans smoking on the beach
Teck1337 Wrote:
Djaric Wrote:Bullshit! 
Yea, ill agree having cigarette smoke in your face is annoying, but on the beach?  Come on...  Unless they are chain smoking right next to you...
I'll agree, smokers are easy targets.  Lets ignore the real issues and attack smoking!  YEA!  Look at us!  We're really changing the image of this place!! 
(just ignore all the deaths from alcohol poisoning, rape, yadda yadda)

Right... But another issue is the cigarette butts that get left all over the place, Actually that's something that really annoys me. A lot of people who smoke cigarettes just don't care about cleaning up after themselves.

Now, I have yet to see someone leave remnants from a cigar behind after smoking. Ash generally ends up in ash trays, the cigar & cello in the trash (or taken home).

As someone that prefers smoking cigars outside... Seeing stuff like this across the country is becoming increasingly annoying.
Usually what I see left behind is the cigarette filters.....a cigar butt is 100% bio-degradable....(and I think the cello too)
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Teck1337 Wrote:
Djaric Wrote:Bullshit! 
Yea, ill agree having cigarette smoke in your face is annoying, but on the beach?  Come on...  Unless they are chain smoking right next to you...
I'll agree, smokers are easy targets.  Lets ignore the real issues and attack smoking!  YEA!  Look at us!  We're really changing the image of this place!! 
(just ignore all the deaths from alcohol poisoning, rape, yadda yadda)

Right... But another issue is the cigarette butts that get left all over the place, Actually that's something that really annoys me. A lot of people who smoke cigarettes just don't care about cleaning up after themselves.

Now, I have yet to see someone leave remnants from a cigar behind after smoking. Ash generally ends up in ash trays, the cigar & cello in the trash (or taken home).

As someone that prefers smoking cigars outside... Seeing stuff like this across the country is becoming increasingly annoying.

You know what Teck...  that would not be happening as bad IF smoking in the bars and resturants was allowed again.    Smokers were forced outside to smoke because of the bans.     They will leave their drinks at the bar just to face the sun, rain, snow and cold to smoke.     People didn't quit smoking because of the bans, they adapted their ways.    Its a wonder there have not been a ton of cases of public drunkenness from the people huddled up outside the bars.    Not many bars have those outside ashtray things because they get stolen and in many cases its a public sidewalk where its a hazard.   So the butts end up in the street, sidewalk, grass...etc.

While the beach is a bit different, the smokers will adapt and pollute someplace else with their cigarette butts.    Seems to me it was much cleaner outside the bars prior to the bans.  

I don't think anyone really wants to go to the beach and see a few thousand Newport butts in the sand where their kids are trying to make a sand castle.   However banning smoking outside on a beach is just the next step in totally banning smoking everywhere.   Why not just designate two areas on the beach...smokers and non smokers.   If you are a non smoker on the smoking side, too F'n bad.    Personal choice, not government mandates.   I mean dammit, its outside!
[user=64]Tonto The Long Island Sidekick[/user] wrote:
Quote:Usually what I see left behind is the cigarette filters.....a cigar butt is 100% bio-degradable....(and I think the cello too)
That's a good point, But I can still respect the fact that some people may not want to see my cigar butt's on the ground... Just like I dont want to see cigarette butts or filters. I see it more from the point of view that people need to clean up after themselves.

[user=1]admin[/user] wrote:
Quote:You know what Teck...  that would not be happening as bad IF smoking in the bars and resturants was allowed again.    Smokers were forced outside to smoke because of the bans.     They will leave their drinks at the bar just to face the sun, rain, snow and cold to smoke.     People didn't quit smoking because of the bans, they adapted their ways.    Its a wonder there have not been a ton of cases of public drunkenness from the people huddled up outside the bars.    Not many bars have those outside ashtray things because they get stolen and in many cases its a public sidewalk where its a hazard.   So the butts end up in the street, sidewalk, grass...etc.

While the beach is a bit different, the smokers will adapt and pollute someplace else with their cigarette butts.    Seems to me it was much cleaner outside the bars prior to the bans.  

I don't think anyone really wants to go to the beach and see a few thousand Newport butts in the sand where their kids are trying to make a sand castle.   However banning smoking outside on a beach is just the next step in totally banning smoking everywhere.   Why not just designate two areas on the beach...smokers and non smokers.   If you are a non smoker on the smoking side, too F'n bad.    Personal choice, not government mandates.   I mean dammit, its outside!
Good points and I do agree... I actually wish that I could go into any bar and light up. In fact, I wouldnt mind if the bar asked that no one smoke inside... I don't think there should be flat out bans across the board. If a Bar or restaurant does not want smoking inside, then fine... That may turn people away from them, but IMHO that should be up to the owner of the establishment. If the bar wants to have a designated non-smoking section, that's fine too... But Bans, come on now.

Now that part about the beach, or in my case a National Forest, a state park, at home, etc... That's where I dont want to see people littering. I don't care if its a soda can or a cigarette butt... I simply enjoy smoking outside, I like to watch the sunset while enjoying a fine cigar & drink. And the last thing I want to see when I look down is litter of any kind.

I say no on bans, but promote large ash trays. And I think that for at least most of the places that I see where there are cigarette butts on the ground, the problem could easily be solved with large concrete ash trays or those Smoke-Mates (Its like a trashcan for cigarettes & cigars).

Smoking ban's just are not the answer if you ask me...
True, but that leads to the next series of questions and problems....

#1 - Who cleans the outside ash trays?

#2 - What happens when there is an overload of butts (and paper as some jerks put more than butts in there) and a fire starts.

#3 - They take up space on the sidewalk and I've seen little kids actually walk into them accidentially before.   So again, liability issues of having something on a public sidewalk.

#4 - And why would the city put funding into ashtrays when untimately they don't want smoking.   They would catch a ton of hell over it.   The merchant would ultimately have to purchase the ashtrays, maintain them, insure themselves against the issues, etc.

It was so much better before because the butts were inside, in ashtrays...emptied as needed and tossed in the garbage at the end of each night.

Lets ban chewing gum in schools and just watch how many sticky goo spots there are outside the doors!   (or under the lunch tables)  lol!

Whats next, outdoor BBQ grills?  
[curse]  Your damn BBQ ribs are smoking out my cheap burgers over here!   LOL!  Ban those charcoal grills!   Gas or nothing!   Maaaaaaa!!   where does it end?
admin Wrote:True, but that leads to the next series of questions and problems....

#1 - Who cleans the outside ash trays?

#2 - What happens when there is an overload of butts (and paper as some jerks put more than butts in there) and a fire starts.

#3 - They take up space on the sidewalk and I've seen little kids actually walk into them accidentially before.   So again, liability issues of having something on a public sidewalk.

#4 - And why would the city put funding into ashtrays when untimately they don't want smoking.   They would catch a ton of hell over it.   The merchant would ultimately have to purchase the ashtrays, maintain them, insure themselves against the issues, etc.

It was so much better before because the butts were inside, in ashtrays...emptied as needed and tossed in the garbage at the end of each night.

Lets ban chewing gum in schools and just watch how many sticky goo spots there are outside the doors!   (or under the lunch tables)  lol!

Whats next, outdoor BBQ grills?  
[curse]  Your damn BBQ ribs are smoking out my cheap burgers over here!   LOL!  Ban those charcoal grills!   Gas or nothing!   Maaaaaaa!!   where does it end?
Good questions... I haven't got any really good answers. Smile

I like the idea about chewing gum though Big Grin...
TheFife Wrote:
Vitamin G Wrote:The natural progression of any government is to regulate more and more and more.
BINGO!

No matter what you do or where you go there is always a group of people who are interested in controlling other people with rules.  I'm sure you all work with people who have a big list of rules, regulations, and standards that they would love to see introduced and strictly enforced at your company.  Unfortunately, those people are desperately attracted to the government.  They love the idea of making things better, and perhaps through blind luck, they sometimes do.  The problem is that those people will never be done making rules.  Its like watching a 5 year old try to figure out a rubix cube.  Each "fix" they execute just causes a problem on the other side of the cube. 

For most people, freedom is just an empty ideal.  They don't really value freedom.  They prefer control in the name of protecting people from themselves.  Lady liberty is being replaced with a dominatrix, and her stilettos are headed straight for your ass.

Brad

Well spoken Brad!
While I see this law as rediculous as you all do, I'm all for any law that bans T2G from wearing those pink shorts on any beach!
All I have to say to this is......Thats Bullshit!