Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And I thought the Auto "Clunker" program was working.....
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/16/auto-dealers-paid-just-percent-clunkers-claims-congressman-says/?test=latestnews

Auto Dealers Paid for Just 2 Percent of 'Clunkers' Claims, Congressman Says

Rep. Joe Sestak says only 2 percent of claims have been paid and that four of every five applications have been "rejected for minor oversight."

[size=2]The federal government has only reimbursed auto dealers for 2 percent of the claims they've submitted through the popular "cash for clunkers" program, a Pennsylvania congressman said, calling on the Obama administration to help speed up the process. 

Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Pa., called for "immediate action" to address the problem in a statement Sunday, after writing a letter to President Obama Saturday expressing his concerns. 

In the letter, Sestak said only 2 percent of claims have been paid and that four of every five applications have been "rejected for minor oversight." 

In recent days, auto dealers across the country have been complaining that the reimbursement payments are slow to process. And they said some of their applications were being rejected because of apparent procedural issues. The statistics Sestak cited suggest those complaints are not based on isolated incidents. 

Staffing could be one problem. According to sales data summarized by Transportation Department officials, dealers have submitted requests for rebates on 338,659 vehicles sold. 

But while Congress just expanded the $1 billion program by $2 billion, the Department of Transportation says a staff of just 225 people is reviewing those claims. 

Sestak wrote that he thinks 1,000 processors should be assigned to handle the claims. Sestak, who is challenging Sen. Arlen Specter in his state's Senate primary, wrote that auto dealers have contacted him to express their concern and ask for help. 

"Failure to address delays with the cash for clunkers program will adversely harm auto dealers in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania and around the country -- undoubtedly forcing many out of business," he said in a statement. 

Under the clunkers program, passenger car owners are eligible for a voucher worth between $3,500 and $4,500 if they trade in their gas guzzlers for new, fuel-efficient vehicles.
[/size]
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
No no no, the government running the medical system will be fine...   No worries, no worries...
I'm sitting here wondering WHAT people EXPECT when they get the red tape of government involved?  The auto dealers will be held out for as long as possible.

Oh and mega ditto on the health care.  This is in NO way a reflection of how they'd handle the health care process.  It would be MUCH smoother than anything they've ever handled previously....

[help]
Vitamin G Wrote:No no no, the government running the medical system will be fine...   No worries, no worries...
EXACTLY!    Want another example, ask any veteran about their "wonderful" medical benefits from the VA.  Just imagine the long lines at the ER if you have to wait for government approval on everything.  

Everyone should be entitled to healthcare, but I think the first step should be to regulate the price gouging.   Every damn hospital and doctor charges a "top rate" for their procedures so they get the maximum pay from every insurance company.    They will charge $150 for an x-ray, but will accept $50 from Blue Cross...$45 from Health America, or $70 from Optima as payment in full.   Meanwhile the person without insurance gets a huge $150 bill because the doctor inflated the price to get the most from the insurance companies.   That is where the problem is at.

Now Obama wants to inject millions more people into a system that is screwed up.   Thats not fixing the problem!!  

Yea, cash for clunkers....     They assign 225 people to manage 338,000+ vehicles sold.   How many will manage the healthcare system?   Stay tuned for the cash for corpses program!
My brother works at a Honda dealer.  He told me tonight that they are waiting on over $500k for their cash for clunker trades.  I am betting a lot of smaller dealers will go belly up because of this.  The real bitch of it is that they have to destroy the cars.  If the program fails, and they get no money, they dont even have the cars to sell.

He did say that it has been a lot of fun blowing the cars up.  He drains the oil on them, and then goes and drives them around.  His boss was doing 45 in a Mercedes and put it in reverse, and then park.
I like smoking lightning
Obama being honest about how his health care bureaucracy will look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqUmuZnmf...re=related
And those buying new vehicles from the "clunkers program" are buying big SUV's too!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
My father in law is the business manager for a major auto center that is doing the Cash for clunkers BS... They have shelled out over $500,000 in $4500 rebates, and they have gotten a total of 3 applications accepted to get thier money back.  The rest of the time they have spent trying to upload the forms to the POS govt. website that they need to send them to.  My FIL tells me he spends all day trying to just GET to the website, but its so busy constantly that he gets a "timed out" message all day long.... I have a bad feeling about this program, and the owner of the dealership will probably end up $450,000 poorer after this program is finished, simply because the govt. did not think this program through all the way before implimenting it.
Scott
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

The "Beauracracy" is an overweight machine constantly demanding more "food" yet its so weighted down its less and less efficient.
I thought EACH of these were applicable...

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them.

Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Each Quote was stated by one President Ronald Wilson Reagan, may he rest peacefully.