Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a home "guest" Wifi?
One of my sons is in 9th grade.  The school has given a 9th graders a tablet to use in school & at home.  At home, it needs to hook into wifi, to access files stored "in the cloud", like homework & some reading material.

Am I wrong to not want this device plugged into my home wifi & network?  I guess a "guest" wifi would do it.

Call me paranoid, but I don't have any idea what software is loaded onto that machine.

How can I set up a safe wifi for my son to use this device on when he is home.

I guess I need a 2nd router & need to connect it to the main router...not sure if that's right & how to do it.

Any ideas?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
What type of device is it, i wouldn't pay it much mind. Is it always in his possession, or is it community item.
No Justice, No Peace!
(09-19-2016, 02:59 PM)nayslayer Wrote: What type of device is it, i wouldn't pay it much mind. Is it always in his possession, or is it community item.

It was "assigned" to him, after the school set it up.  Every 9th grader got one.  My son was the one who first had the concerns about hooking it up to our home network.

It's an ASUS Transformer Book, model #T100H.

Right now, he's downloading an assignment, that he will answer of the machine & upload his answers.  But in the future, he may need to print out his work & our only printer is on our home network.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
You could get some fancy firmware and segment your home network, but I think you should be fine.
No Justice, No Peace!
Or maybe set up a Clinton server network?    Big Grin   Tongue
Seems pretty common practice these days.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I use a guest network at home...
Ok, so what's the easiest way for me to do it?   Smile
(09-29-2016, 10:11 AM)Tonto Wrote: Ok, so what's the easiest way for me to do it?   Smile

On mine, it's simply a matter of logging into the router. The guest network option is like the second option in the list. Create a network name, I think almost everyone just uses the name of their normal network and -Guest. Then create a unique password for it. Will allow the user to access the internet, but not share items on your home network. 
(09-30-2016, 10:15 AM)scott81425 Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 10:11 AM)Tonto Wrote: Ok, so what's the easiest way for me to do it?   Smile

On mine, it's simply a matter of logging into the router. The guest network option is like the second option in the list. Create a network name, I think almost everyone just uses the name of their normal network and -Guest. Then create a unique password for it. Will allow the user to access the internet, but not share items on your home network. 

Sweet!  I didn't know it was that easy.  I'm going to check that out tonight.

Thanks!