Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a home "guest" Wifi?
I took a look at the router...didn't notice hoe to do a guest network on it.

Time to try & google it.

The router is a Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Damn....I'm finding "Some routers support it but not the Verizon supplied ones."   Sad 

So I guess I need another way.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(09-30-2016, 06:13 PM)Tonto Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 10:15 AM)scott81425 Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 10:11 AM)Tonto Wrote: Ok, so what's the easiest way for me to do it?   Smile

On mine, it's simply a matter of logging into the router. The guest network option is like the second option in the list. Create a network name, I think almost everyone just uses the name of their normal network and -Guest. Then create a unique password for it. Will allow the user to access the internet, but not share items on your home network. 

Sweet!  I didn't know it was that easy.  I'm going to check that out tonight.

Thanks!

Yeah mine was a single click thing...
Get an asus. I can't stress that enough. With all the gaming and multimedia streaming we do in our house (we just cut the cord from DTV) I can't stress this enough. I've had netgear, linksys, tp link, and others. My asus routers running merlin firmware are flawless. Everything I have to do is a simple task.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
(09-30-2016, 09:43 PM)scott81425 Wrote: Get an asus. I can't stress that enough. With all the gaming and multimedia streaming we do in our house (we just cut the cord from DTV) I can't stress this enough. I've had netgear, linksys, tp link, and others. My asus routers running merlin firmware are flawless. Everything I have to do is a simple task.

Sounds good! What model would you recommend?
I have both an ac66 and a n66. Honestly, performance wise I don't notice much difference. I'd watch for a great deal on a refurbished or open box deal and grab it. I'm sure technology has advanced, and these aren't the "latest and greatest" but damn they work well, and with my 60 mbps connection, all my wireless devices come within 1 mbps of wired performance.

Thanks Scott.

How difficult would could it be to switch one of those for the Verizon router (my service is Verizon FIOS)?
Do you have a seperate modem, or is your router also your modem? If yours is an all in one, it's just a matter of disabling the wireless function and putting that one in bridge mode. Do you have t mobile by chance? They'll send you one for wifi calling.