Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF Anejo #48
Last night I smoked an Anejo #48.  This is the second longest vitola in the Anejo line.  I normally am unable to smoke a cigar of this size due to time and the fact that there are few places to smoke indoors around these parts.  However, last night I attended a bachelor party at a private club where smoking was allowed and encouraged.  Keep your cigar / stripper jokes to yourselves.  The only breasts at this party were on the fat guy tending the bar.  On to the cigar -

I am a big fan of the Anejo line and have smoked all of the sizes except the 48 and the 49.  I picked this particular cigar up from Tampa Sweethearts when I was there last year.  TS is a Fuente only store, which you can check out online.  They don't sell Anejos online, you have to call for the high end stuff, and they usually force you to buy other stuff before you are 'allowed' to purchase anything Opus or Anejo.  But they do sell you those items at MSRP.  If you visit the store, don't expect something like Casa Fuente, or some type of AF theme store (like the M&M stores in NYC and Vegas) - its really just like a bank teller's window where you place your order - they will allow you to buy the high end stuff without having to purchase $25 in 'lower end' Fuente products.   

The 48 comes wrapped in cedar and it is a very dark looking cigar.  Smelled wonderful pre-light, a very sweet smell, similar to rum.  Very well made.  Clipped easily and lit easily.  Never had to relight it at all.

The burn on this cigar was no doubt the best I have ever seen.  Other people actually commented on it.  Burn was straight and even - it almost looked like a prop cigar as it was too perfect looking.  Great, solid ash that refused to fall off.  Smoke seemed kind of thin, I expected more from a cigar of this size.

The first 1/3 of the cigar tasted like typical Anejo.  Sweet, smooth taste.  Glad I had it after a meal, as it was like a dessert.  I was really enjoying this cigar, just awesome.

Then, half way through the cigar, something happened.  It got very, very bitter.  I couldn't believe it.  The taste was terrible.  I was so disappointed.  A cigar that started out just incredible totally turned on me.  I kept smoking it, hoping it would go back to the way it was, but it didn't.  Just a bitter, ammonia taste that ruined it for me.

I never expected this from a cigar of this caliber.  I hope this isn't typical of the 48 and 49s as I just sent out a 49 as part of a package to a member of this forum.

Anyone else have this happen to them?
Good review... EVERY anejo I've ever had was great.
Scott  
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

What year was the #48 from?
Keith Wrote:What year was the #48 from?
I assume last year.  Bought it in Tampa in July 2007 from Tampa Sweethearts.
Magnum PI Wrote:
Keith Wrote:What year was the #48 from?
I assume last year.  Bought it in Tampa in July 2007 from Tampa Sweethearts.
Keith's on it.  2 more years AT LEAST IMHO.  Even Sharks to me are a bit rough without a year or two on them.  The 48's and 49's take more time but they become a real knee knocker.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Thanks for the review Andy. I would agree with Headley on this. That cigar had to be going through a fermentation if you were getting ammonia. They simply need more time.
So you like the Anejo line. Won't you be surprise when you check your mail box today?

Oh, thanks for the review, yep sounds like they need more time.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Thanks guys.  I will lay them down.

And Jimmie, I just got my mail.  The Mum is sneaky.  Generous and sneaky.  A post is coming.  I thought there was a truce between The Untouchables and The Firm.   Going to have to talk to the Chief about this . . .
Magnum PI Wrote:Thanks guys.  I will lay them down.

And Jimmie, I just got my mail.  The Mum is sneaky.  Generous and sneaky.  A post is coming.  I thought there was a truce between The Untouchables and The Firm.   Going to have to talk to the Chief about this . . .
El Capo Pips doesn't know about this. I did say in another thread after joining The Firm that I would still be independent & would do side jobs for extra cash.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
i have a few boxes of 48's & 49's. I have smoked them right out of the box and with time. Every one has been great. I have not had that bitter taste you are referring to.