Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Smoker?
I'm thinking of getting into smoking, instead of the basic BBQ. I've never done it before. Can anyone give some advice on what I need to get? Like what is a good smoker for a beginner? etc. And any other tips? Thanks.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I'm thinking of getting into smoking, instead of the basic BBQ. I've never done it before. Can anyone give some advice on what I need to get? Like what is a good smoker for a beginner? etc. And any other tips? Thanks.

What are you planning on smoking?  I mean how big do you want and how much money do you want to spend?  TN has a really nice one but it is big $$$$$$$ and he can smoke whole pigs Confusedhock:.  Mine is   the one I have and it cost me about $150

http://www.charbroil.com/consumerwebhome/silversmoker.aspx

Works great, and it is big enough for me.  I have smoked 2 brisketts, 4 racks of ribs and 2 tri-tips at one time on it.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Thanks for the link Po! Smile

Those look perfect to me. No, I won't be doing a hole pig! LOL

Some briskets, ribs, pork, etc. That sort of thing. Are there any good sources for recipes?
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Thanks for the link Po! Smile

Those look perfect to me. No, I won't be doing a hole pig! LOL

Some briskets, ribs, pork, etc. That sort of thing. Are there any good sources for recipes?

This is a good site

http://www.thesmokering.com/
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
I just took a quick look. Exactly what I was looking for!!Big Grin

Thanks again Po!!
No problem, happy to help
Any thoughts on some easy "starter" recipes?
If you do Brisket, make sure you soak it in a brin for 24 hr.s to help break down the meat.  Than just do a dry rub and add BBQ sauce about 4hrs (apply every 1/2hr until meat is done) before you pull it off.

Or Tri-tip is really easy, dry rub and BBQ sauce a few hours before you pull it off.

Or rack of ribs same process as tri-tipTongue
Thanks Po!

Pardon the ignorance, but what is a "tri-tip"?
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Thanks Po!

Pardon the ignorance, but what is a "tri-tip"?

Check out this site for cuts of meat

http://www.askthemeatman.com/tri-tip.htm

By the way this is excellent meat to just BBQ as well TongueBig Grin