Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
601 Habano Oscuro Trabuco
601 (Green Label) Habano Oscuro Trabuco

Wrapper/Binder/Filler: Nicaragua

6-1/8 x 58

Date: 11-02-07

Smoke Time: 1 hr. 21 min.

Prelight:  A large cigar with a much larger ring gauge than I normally smoke.  This will be my first time trying this blend, so I am looking forward to it.  The wrapper is dark and oily with a tiny bit of toothiness and a triple cap.  There are no major veins or blemishes – a great looking smoke.  Prelight aroma was barnyard with a little molasses.  The prelight draw was perfect with flavors of dried fruit, grass, and a tiny bit of spearmint.

1/3:  The cigar started right off with great smoke volume.  A nice, robust body was there right from the beginning.  The flavors were toasted nuts and hay, with a healthy ligero “twang”.  The strength was there right away, concentrated at the back of my palate and throat.

2/3:  AS the first third ended and the second third began, the Nic kick started.  The sharp, biting strength of the first third smoothed out and became deeper and more refined.  The strength continued to intensify, and the toasted nut flavors were joined by a coffee beans and leather.  My favorite third.

3/3:  The flavors continued to intensify as the strength peaked.  In the last inch or so, the coffee bean flavors turned a little bit bitter, and so I put it down.

Conclusion:  Though not uncomfortably strong, I am glad I had this cigar after a full dinner.  It is full bodied and full flavored – I wish the the first third would have had the refined and subtle (yet powerful) strength that the second third had…   The bite at the beginning was a little bit off for me.   The ring gauge was distractingly large – I would like to try this blend with a smaller ring gauge (48-50) and see how it compares.

Quote:
Excellent review, Bill. I'm going to have to try this line. I haven't tried any of the 601's as of yet.
MaytagMan Wrote: I would like to try this blend with a smaller ring gauge (48-50) and see how it compares.

DONE!

Great review by the way!
[Image: CRA_ambassador_seal-smaller.jpg]
Join CRA Today! Click Above!
[Image: RobbieofCordova-2.gif]
Bill, have you tried any of the other 601's?  If so, any comparison?

Another great review, by the way.
Magnum PI Wrote:Bill, have you tried any of the other 601's?  If so, any comparison?

Thanks!  Cool

I have tried a few others...  I think that the thing about this one is that there is no mistaking the strength - to me, it was much more obvious in this blend. 

To me, a lot of the Pepin blends have this intense black pepper kind of spice that hits my mouth and tongue right away... this was was low and slow...  started of subtly strong at the beginning, and built pretty steadily and quickly.

Definitely an after dinner smoke for me.

MaytagMan Wrote:[user=624]Magnum PI[/user] wrote:
Quote:Bill, have you tried any of the other 601's?  If so, any comparison?

Quote:Thanks!  Cool

I have tried a few others...  I think that the thing about this one is that there is no mistaking the strength - to me, it was much more obvious in this blend. 

To me, a lot of the Pepin blends have this intense black pepper kind of spice that hits my mouth and tongue right away... this was was low and slow...  started of subtly strong at the beginning, and built pretty steadily and quickly.

Definitely an after dinner smoke for me.

Quote:
Quote:Nice review,this is the strongest blend of the 601's IMO,a very good cigar that needs some nap time,the box I got last week was dated 10/06/07.I put some in my dry box for a week and last night smoked another and what a difference,no bitterness at the end. These will get even better with time.[italy][rob]